We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanmer horses. avoid. rude rude staff and unsafe

bristol
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Hanmer horses. avoid. rude rude staff and unsafe

I went on a 'beginners' ride. This place is an accident waiting to happen.

1. they did not fit you with a hat, you just picked what was left, not checked by the staff

2. One of the riders in my group had never been on a horse before but was expected to trot after 3 minutes with NO INSTRUCTION. She was then spoken to VERY rudely by the owner Jean.

3. Jean was exeptionally rude to 2 other riders in the group and practically bullied a nervous rider into cantering.

The ride does not give fabulous views either.

Seriously avoid at all costs unless you like being made to feel an inch tall!

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanmer horses. avoid. rude rude staff and unsafe

Thank you for your report. would you please expand a little more on what happened, the name of the horse riding organisation.

These are quite serious acusationions for a first time poster on this forum, while we will do what we can, we do need more information to ensure its legitimacy and that safety is not compromised.

when were you in nz and for how long

2. Re: Hanmer horses. avoid. rude rude staff and unsafe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 November 2010, 23:13
3. Re: Hanmer horses. avoid. rude rude staff and unsafe

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2010, 23:59
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
749 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanmer horses. avoid. rude rude staff and unsafe

It looks very bad when people make 1 post stating their personal point of view and then disappear. How do we know what is credible? Who do we newbies trust ?

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanmer horses. avoid. rude rude staff and unsafe

Hi to all the posters here. I have to agree with "imlivid". I was in New Zealand for three weeks over Christmas and had an utterly amazing time, with the EXCEPTION of my experience at Hamner Horses. I went to Hamner Horses for a ride at the beginning of January, and when booking I explained that I had never been on a horse before and therefore was the ride suitable for me. I was told that absolutely, full training was given and it was a gentle walk around the fields.

When I turned up, I was told to grab a hat. The hat was not fitted for me, and was not checked by anyone at all. When I got on the horse, I reiterated to the girls there that I was quite nervous, and was told that was ok, the ride was for beginners. Jean then asked the group who had not riden before, I said that I hadn't and Jean said that she was very disappointed as this ruined the ride that she was going to do. Then said, oh well, actually we'll get you to do the advanced one anyway.

We'd then be on the horses about a minute, when Jean said that we were going to trot. I explained that I wasn't comfortable with this as I'd only been on a horse a minute, she shouted at me that EVERYONE trots straight away and that I just had to get on with it. She then shouted at another member of the group who couldn't turn the horse - in an extremely rude and condesending way. Then further on the ride, she shouted at another member of the group that he was a "stupid boy" when he said that his saddle was uncomfortable and could they check it for him. He was told to shut up and get on with it.

I have to say, I personally had an awful experience at Hamner Horses and would definitely never get on a horse again following this bad experience.

I would also not recommend Hamner Horses, although obviously accept that other people may have had different experiences, for the following reasons:

- No check of equipment - hats, saddles nothing.

- No account of differing abilities taken into account (despite checking first).

- Exceptionally uncustomer friendly service, with a very patronising and agressive approach, nigh on bullying people to do things that they were uncomfortable doing.

I'm more than happy to elaborate on any of the details that I've put on my post if anyone wants to ask anything.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanmer horses. avoid. rude rude staff and unsafe

EscapeeBath, what a distressing ride.

It might be best to post a review of Hanmer Horses in the review section to alert other potential riders of your personal experience.

I hope you re-consider your vow to never ride a horse again. Under better conditions it is a fabulous experience :)

bristol
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanmer horses. avoid. rude rude staff and unsafe

I have been unable to get to my computer however I stand by my report and can assure you that.

We were not fitted with hats

Jean was very rude to 3 of the riders

People felt intimidated by her

I agree that the horses looked extremely well cared for but this was not my issue

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
749 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanmer horses. avoid. rude rude staff and unsafe

Scary situation for you Escapee. And this definitely backs up livid's experience. It could be dangerous for an unskilled rider to be thrown into a group of advanced horse riding experts.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanmer horses. avoid. rude rude staff and unsafe

Hi Wanakalakes, I will definitely post a review too, along with details on my itinerary for everyones benefit.

PS wanaka was one of my favourite places, with a fabulous B&B!

10. Re: Hanmer horses. avoid. rude rude staff and unsafe

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 November 2010, 23:13
Edited: 16 November 2010, 23:13
Get answers to your questions about Hanmer Springs