We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

along the way from Franz Josef to Hanmer Springs

Oregon
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
along the way from Franz Josef to Hanmer Springs

Our trip is planned for Jan. One leg of the trip will be driving from Franz Josef to Hanmer Springs. Accommodations have been made and confirmed. This website forum has been wonderful in helping me. I am looking for ideas on things we should try not to miss while making the drive. I hope to make a side trip to see the Pancake Rocks along the way. I realize this drive alone may be as long as 7 hours without stops. Unfortunately to see NZ as we wanted we needed a few LONG days and this is one.

Thank you very much

Larry

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: along the way from Franz Josef to Hanmer Springs

check out the Bushmans center at Pukekura

Hokitika shops (greenstone, gold jewlery and nuggets, Glas blowing and even a sock museum)

Shanty town (replica gold mining town, complete with steam train which runs every hour)

in Reefton, do a gold mine tour to the Globe gold mine

check out the japanese bath house at Maruia Springs

just a quick list but have fun

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,106 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: along the way from Franz Josef to Hanmer Springs

The drive through the Buller gorge is very, very nice but the stop at the pancake rocks is an absolute must. Try not to stand still at Maruia or the sandflies will get you.

3. Re: along the way from Franz Josef to Hanmer Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2016, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Hanmer Springs
More Hanmer Springs Topics