We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finalizing a resort in Koh Samed

Mumbai
Level Contributor
99 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Finalizing a resort in Koh Samed

Hi,

Am looking forward to some much needed advice on accomodations in Koh Samed.

My girlfriend and I are getting married in December and will be honeymooning in Thailand. We hear that Koh Samed is a beautiful island proving a lot of peace and beautiful beaches. We have decided to be in Samed for 3 nights on our trip.

We looked through the millions of web sites and have realized that the Samed group of resorts have about 6 resorts in the area.

1. Paradee

2. Le Vimarn

3. Ao Prao resort

4. Sai Kaew resort

5. Mook Samed

6. Samed club

Has anyone on this forum been to any of these resorts? Would you have any recommendations as to the best of these? Any kind of information will help.

Thanks

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finalizing a resort in Koh Samed

Paradee has the highest/best standards of everything on this island, a lot of thai busines men also come here for weekends. Basicly further south you go on this island, more privacy you'll get ie. no other hotels (or local restaurants either) around. Good facilities, also own pool.

Own boat transfer directly from Ban Phe to Paradee.

Le Vivarn and Ao Prao Resort are on the same small beach on the sunset-side of the island. Personally I prefer Ao Prao Resort due romantic beach-side private BUNGALOWS (recommend!) in stead of Le Vivarn hotel ROOMS. Ao Prao Resort has also a lovely outdoor restaurant with beach-side tables, reasonable rated dishes for hotel rates.

Ao Prao has no pool but beach is just a few meters away and that's why they have 1* less in hotel category, Le Vivarn has an own pool in front of the beach. Nice sand on the beach, can get crowdy ...ok snorkelling (but not fantastic) in the edges of the bay. Same boat transfer to both of these hotels, normally also one stop on the main pier on north coast.

From this beach, it's a short (open)taxi drive to the other side of the island - Vong Duen Beach is lovely n great for dinners (or about 15-20 min walk on dusty "road"). Evenings at Vong Duen are nice, good number of bars and restaurants are available but still not very noisy or too lively, dining on the beach (= low tide) in candlelight is just great. Pancaces on the beach are great.

This beach attracts all kind of people nowadays - from younger to mid-aged (who used to come here about 20 years ago...such as me...) There a lot of cheap bungalows and bambu huts in neighbouring beaches, thai teenages come here also specially on weekends.

Bring a torch!!

Sai Kaew Resort attracts most young people =travellers/backbackers as it's pretty lively beach and area. Day tourists from Pattaya to Samed Island will be snorkeling in front of this beach and have lunch in some of the eateries...this is why I have always disliked this area. Beach itself is ok .

Mook Samed and Samed Club are new products for me -

Samed Club seem to be on the northern coast and that area is popular with schrimp and fish tanks, just wonder how it affects to the water around.

Mook Samed looks lovely but there is no beach, which I think is the best part of the entire island!

Maybe someone else knows more about these 2 new ones??

Switzerland
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Finalizing a resort in Koh Samed

Agree with Mekans who has given you a great summary of Samed. For beach side restaurants and entertainment I recommend sai kaew beach and vong duan.

Paradee is more private, located in the south and quite expensive but is a beautiful resort. We prefer a place which is more social - sai kaew resort from your list fits the bill.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
219 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finalizing a resort in Koh Samed

Sai Kaew beach is probably the best located, as there s pretty much only one paved road on Koh Samet and it is farily near Sai Kaew beach resort.

This may help you, when you look at the resorts look at the location and here is a map

http://www.koh-samet.org/map-samet.htm

As MEKANS said Paradee is quite remote and nothing really around. For that I'd give it a pass on top of the fact it is extremely expensive.

Mook Samed is basically in the middle of the water. I've eaten at Ban Ploy next door but never been to Mook Samed, but you can tell from the pictures. For your honeymoon I'd choose in a better location or you are stuck to that hotels restaurant and anything else you need unless you want to brave the dirt roads of Koh Samet which aren't too bad in the day, but at night there are very few lights the further you get from the one road.

Hope that somewhat helps.

4. Re: Finalizing a resort in Koh Samed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2010, 05:18