We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trio of islands in November? Can't make up mind on third...

Seattle, Washington
9 posts
Save Topic
Trio of islands in November? Can't make up mind on third...

A friend and I are spending a month long trip between Thailand and Cambodia. I'm a major beach/snorkel/swimming aficionado, but usually go to the South Pacific, Caribbean or Latin America (last trips were Cuba in April and Vanuatu in October). This will be my first trip to Asia. I've been reading Tezza's site, Travelfish and others online, but can't seem to make up my mind on one aspect of the trip. At the end of the trip we'll be spending some time on Railay and then Koh Ngai. Toward the beginning of the trip (mid-November) we're splitting up for four nights to do separate adventures. I've been obsessing about which island/beach/lodging to go to for that solo chunk of time. Here are my parameters>

-a beach in which you can find a quiet spot to chill out on (no music blaring from a resort, not tons of boat traffic)

-good snorkelling

-good swimming if possible

-mid range or 'flashpacker' accommodation on the beach (staying in the lower priced 'garden' bungalows is fine)

-not into the party scene at all

-either able to get to jumping off point by Air Asia (so flying into Krabi or Phuket) or bus from Bangkok

-nearby wildlife is a plus

I originally had my heart set on Koh Tao, then learned November is the height of rainy season there. Then considered doing one of the quiet beaches on Koh Samet (such as Ao Thian or Ao Pudsa/Tubtim), but was discouraged by the lack of snorkelling opportunities. Recently considered doing Coral Island Resort off of Phuket (sounds like there's space to get away from the daytrippers- not sure if this is accurate).........as you can see, the pesky fickle travel decision gene has kicked in!

Would love to get feedback (feel free to be as opinionated as you like) and recommendations. Thanks so much, really, really appreciate your help!

**also posted this on the Koh Tao and Phuket forums, apologies for any duplications, I'm a newbie at this forum stuff :)

Seattle, Washington
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trio of islands in November? Can't make up mind on third...

Can anyone chime in on Koh Samet in November? It would be great to hear from folks who have been there :)

From what I've read it seems like there is no snorkelling off the the beaches, but are there any day trips to islets nearby? If I decide to let go of the snorkelling angle just to have some beach time close to Bangkok, then what beaches would you recommend for a quiet location, good swimming and decent accomodation (mid-range)?

Appreciate any feedback, thanks so much!!!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trio of islands in November? Can't make up mind on third...

I recommend Koh Phi Phi and the northern areas away from the main leisure area. Nowadays there are a couple of beaches where you can find accommodation, both hotels with bungalows and also simple huts.

Snorkeling is great, we have spent hours and hours in all privacy withour any other people around. No night life here at all.

You must book in advance as they will arrange also boat transfers, the northern islands can be reached only by smaller private boats directly frm Phuket or via Phi Phi main Jetty.

Another option is on the western coast of Phuket heading to Myanmar border and islands there. I have heard that Myanmar has opened some "new" islands for tourists. KOH SURIN and KOH SIMILAN are famous islands for diving and of course for snorkeling. Both islands are natural Reserve areas (but I'm not 100% sure about this as I have unfortunately never visited these islands) limiting number of visitors having also interesting nature .

Both these options have limited access when the sea is stormy!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trio of islands in November? Can't make up mind on third...

phi-phi.com/articles-phi-phi-info/article96.…

This area is where I have stayed on Phi Phi Island!

4. Re: Trio of islands in November? Can't make up mind on third...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 05:16