We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Paradee

NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Paradee

Hello,

My boyfriend booked 4 nights for us at the Paradee hotel, however I'm a bit concerned about the reviews I have read on the prices of transportation and activities at the resort. I heard a snorkeling trip is 233 dollars?? Does anyone have any recommendations how to avoid paying these ridiculous prices? Its also 36 dollars to take a taxi into town...we were thinking of maybe renting a scooter to avoid paying this cost...any suggestions of boat trips we could do outside of paradee or restaurants easy to get to from paradee?

Thank you!

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Paradee

Paradee is in a remote location well away from other resorts. You dont say when you are there, but during monsoon I'm told access is only accessible by 4WD. In dry season "taxis" are available, but even the shortest ride is 150 baht. The local 'taxis" are in fact open pickups with seats on the back, known in Thai as songtaew. Many of the island roads are either dirt tracks or in poor condition, and it means a very bumpy trip.

Paradee is the most expensive resort on the island (owned by Samed Resorts)and in common with all upmarket places, prices are very high. Most of the life in the island is at the far end, near Sae Kaew and Ao Prao.

www.samedresorts.com/…

Edited: 14 September 2010, 07:17
NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Paradee

Ill be travelling there from oct 6 - 10th...so its not possible to rent mopeds to get around? There is no alternative for having cheaper meals or activities than what paradee offers?

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Paradee

small motorcycles are available very cheaply, but I'm not sure if they are available at that end of the island - meaning they may be, but I am not sure. For activities I think you will need to get up to the top end of the island and book there where plenty of activities are available. Paradee was built to be a remote getaway...

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Paradee

Paradee is just lovely but pricy -and it's practically isolated from the rest of the world, just in Paradise.

If you are planning for scooter rentals, cheap local restaurants; this is not the place for you!! In stead have a look at Samed resorts other properties such as Ao Prao Resort and Le Vivarm Cottages on the same beach. Ao Prao has no pool, the other hotel has. Ao Prao is an older and lovely property, the other one is newer.

Ao Prao Beach is on the sunset side of the island and moderate evening life + local restaurants are on the other side of the island on the Vongduen Beach; easy and bumpy taxi (songwtao pick up) drive about 10 minutes or 20-30 min walk on a very dusty road.

http://www.samedresorts.com/

Edited: 25 September 2010, 15:43
5. Re: Staying at Paradee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2011, 04:16