We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about hotels/huts and my itinerary

Which Ko Samet hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
Level Contributor
303 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Question about hotels/huts and my itinerary

Hey tripadvisors!

I am very lucky to be travelling to thailand from nov 19-dec 3. The first part of my trip will be for work in bangkok, then I plan on heading to Chiang Mai for a few days, then to Koh Samet for some sand and sun before heading back to the cold canadian winter.

My current Koh Samet itinerary is as follows:

Monday, Nov 29 - early morning flight from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, bus from airport to Ban Phe, Boat to Koh Samet. This should be reasonable correct? I am told that for a little extra cost you can arrange a van with a/c to koh samet rather than the local buses. I assume I can prob do this through my hotel in bangkok?

I plan on spending the next few days on the beach with a book, eating thai food, drinking thai beer and probably doing some wandering/visiting to the local attractions.

I am looking at 2 options for coming back - either wednesday (dec 1) evening so that I can have a full day in bangkok in dec 2, before returning to Canada on Dec 3. Or leaving early in the morning on Thursday, Dec 2, leaving me half a day in Bangkok. Any advice on which one of these you would recommend is appreciated. Wondering, for example, if travelling late in the evening on wednesday will even be possible! I admit I am leaning towards the second option.

Finally, I would like some advice on hotels/huts. I am not looking for anything fancy, but would like something nice, and a/c is a must! Would like to be on one of the more busier beaches so I can have easy access to restuarants and nightlife, but don't necessarily want to be right in the middle of things either (I like to sleep at night, lol). I have read that many of the hut style accomodations do not have websites - if anybody could recommend one and share a telephone number -that would be great!

I guess I should also mention that I am a young woman travelling alone - just in case that makes a difference!

Thanks a million for the advice, can't wait to go back to thailand!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
303 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about hotels/huts and my itinerary

Ok - I have it narrowed down to Le Blanc Samed Resort on Sai Kaew Beach or Vondeuan Resort on AoWai. Any advice? Ao Wai is pretty much the same place as Vong Duan beach right?

Hawaii
Level Contributor
219 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about hotels/huts and my itinerary

Ao Wai and Ao Vongduen are pretty far apart, you can see a map here

http://www.koh-samet.org/map-samet.htm

You can find a lot on this link. Basically the closer you are the Hat Sai Kaew the main only paved road on the island so I prefer to stay in the are. Usually at Hat/Had Sai Kaew or Ao Pai(which is between Ao Cho on this map and Hat Sai Kaew). I've stayed at Wong(Vong) Duean and found it a bit to far for me and there is virtually no light at night so never again. Songtaews on the island are kind of expensive and your other option is an ATV or a motorbike. The roads are not well lit so at night it can be pretty dangerous to drive around unless closer to Had Sai Kaew the roads are usually much better lit.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
303 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about hotels/huts and my itinerary

Thanks SameSame01! I am having a hard time deciding on my location. I would like to be close to the action (i.e. walking distance) but not in the middle of it. Maybe the next beach south (Ao Phai) or north (Ao Noi Na) to Saikaew?

Are you able to walk easily between the beaches in the northeast?

Also, when people say Saikaew is busy, can anyone put that in context for me? Are we talking Patong type of crazy?

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about hotels/huts and my itinerary

No its not like Patong. Saekaew is a very small place. Its likely that at that time of year most accommodation will be full or close to full so there will be lots of people around, but the main activity is the lack of activity! Swimming, lying on the beach, eating, having a few drinks. At night a few bars can get noisy and busy.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
303 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about hotels/huts and my itinerary

Thanks Dragonc - a few people were getting me worried, figured I should ask for context! I'm gonna be there during the week as well so it prob won;t be as crowded as on a weekend. Thanks again.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about hotels/huts and my itinerary

I prefer Vong Duang beach in stead of Sai Kaew Beach due all day tour groups arrives to that beach from Pattaya. Vong Duan is more peacefull and if tyou have a small walk along the beach path to southern direction, there are small intimate beach corners to enjoy. Otherway I do not recommend any wondering on the island and there is also no other needs for that either.

For evening walks, bring a torch.

In the evening there are several nice restaurants and even bars nowaday on the beach and banana pancaces are super!!

Woolgoolga...
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about hotels/huts and my itinerary

would you be able to tell me if any of the beaches are in walking distance to markets or small shops , thanks

8. Re: Question about hotels/huts and my itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2011, 07:28
Get answers to your questions about Ko Samet