We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catching the bus to Koh Samet

W Yorks
Level Contributor
203 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Catching the bus to Koh Samet

Hi everyone

I am off to Koh Samet in the first week of January - it's my first time.

I was planning on catching the bus from Ekkamai but when I mentioned this to a friend she said she wouldn't catch the bus again due to a Lack of storage space for luggage and no comfort breaks and we would be better in a taxi (there will be 4 of us).

The lack of breaks doesn't bother me, and I tempted to still try the bus to experience it myself first hand to know one way or another for future trips. I've read RoverEngland's recent favourable report but I just wondered if anyone else had any opinions one way or another about bus vs taxi?

Many thanks

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,787 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Catching the bus to Koh Samet

I've made the journey today, bus was fine, a 3 1/2 hour journey to the pier, and 30 min wait for the ferry, which takes 40mins to get to the island. Its the slowest ferry I think I've ever been on.:)

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Catching the bus to Koh Samet

Just to warn other travellers arriving at Suvarnabhumi Airport with a view to travel directly to Ban Phe. The oft-quoted bus service from the airport does not operate during the low season. I was caught out by this on two occasions in 2011 and last year (2012). I thus had the choice of either venturing into Bangkok city centre or paying 1500B for a taxi. As I was with someone and it wouldn't have worked out much more expensive, I chose the taxi option. This transpired to be a pleasant and speedy journey apart from when he dropped us off outside a local vendors shop who proceeded to trick me into paying double the amount for boat tickets than I had to and then as I would later find out the return section of the boat trip was not valid. I plan to visit Koh Samed again this year but going on previous experience, will travel to either Ekkamai or Victory Monument via BTS Airport link and catch the bus to Ban Phe. From there I will ignore the vendors and local shops and go straight to the pier to purchase tickets.

On the other hand, the journey back to Bangkok has never been any trouble. After disembarking the pier, make a right and walk about 200 metres past the rows of shops selling seashells and you will find the government bus station on your left. From there frequent, clean, comfortable, air conditioned and safe buses run frequently to Ekkamai for 177 baht.

Lyon, France
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Catching the bus to Koh Samet

Do tou know where can i have the time tables from ekkamai bus ?

14. Re: Catching the bus to Koh Samet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 05:15