We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mid-week break in Bad Waldsee

Which Bad Waldsee hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
383 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
mid-week break in Bad Waldsee

Hi,

Hope someone can give me info re Hotels,restaurants and

shopping.Is it worth a visit.

Cheers

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,458 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mid-week break in Bad Waldsee

Bad Waldsee ( www.bad-waldsee.de ) is a pleasant small town in Upper Swabia ( www.oberschwaben-tourismus.de ) which has Germany's highest concentration of beautiful Baroque churches and monasteries and home to the Baroque Road ( www.barockstrasse.org ). From the name, I imagine that there is a spa, and there are lots of others in the area. After an hour or two you will have seen the main sights.

I would recommend visiting Bad Schussenried just to the NW with its former monastery with a nice church and an excellent library, unfortunately now without books. The brewery there the world's first beer mug museum which might interest you, and also a lovely beer garden. Close by is Steinhausen, the church of which is I believe rightfully called the most beautiful village church in the world, and also the open air museum at Kuernbach with reassembled historical buildings from throughout the area including a lovely one lane bowling alley. Also, in one of the buildings will be a Biberach "Wheel hat", interesting expensive local head-wear unlike the Bollen hats usually shown for the Black Forest. As such a hat now would cost well over a 1000€, unfortunately they've quit being made and worn.

For Germany's best Maultaschen, go to the brewery in Ummendorf (my wife's home village) just to the east of Biberach, also excellent beer. One of Germany's best Konditorei's is also in Biberach ( a lovely pleasant town with my favorite church, perhaps because I was married in it a few years ago, a lovely blend of simplicity and ornateness), close to what might be Germany's oldest house, Cafe Kolesch on Gymnasiumstrasse. Their Wielandstorte is superb and the best dessert that I've eaten in Germany.

Weingarten, a short distance to the SW of Bad Waldsee has the largest Baroque church north of the Alps at the monastery there. You don't mention a visit date, but on 14May the largest horse procession north of the Alps will occur, over 3000 riders, the Blood Ride, where the religious relic , the purported blood of Christ which soaked into the ground under the cross, will be carried to I believe that church.

Just a few ideas for this area. If the websites do not have an English part. perhaps your toolbar has a translate facility. www.tourismus-bw.de has other ideas for all of Baden-Wuerttemberg, the German state in which this town lies.

Edited: 12 February 2010, 07:57
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
383 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mid-week break in Bad Waldsee

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

3. Re: mid-week break in Bad Waldsee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Bad Waldsee