We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passkontrolle and Customs clearance

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Passkontrolle and Customs clearance

I would like to know roughly how long is the wait for a U.S. citizen traveling with only carry-on luggage arriving at Frankfurt International Airport for Passkontrolle and Customs clearance. I need to schedule a shuttle to Heidelberg and am not quite sure how long to give myself before I book the departure on the shuttle. Thank you kindly. I would be traveling mid-October.

1 reply
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Passkontrolle and Customs clearance

Customs is no problem. If you haved nohing to declare, you simply take the exit marked in green,and walk through the door, without contact with any official. .

The time required for Passport control is a bit less predictable, because the time it takes is largely dependent how many other jumbos are arriving at about the same time as your jet which affects the length of the waiting lines. . There are essentially two sets of passport controls (just like at DEN), --- one for EUR citizens and one for non-citizens of the EU. The control proceduire usually is quite quick - - the official looks at your passpoprt, looks at you, and you can proceed. The problem is the waiting line. Without luggage, I would give myself about 40 minutes for walking to and through passport and customs control, to be on the safe side. l.

If you are thinking of taking the train to Heidelberg, there are ferquentr opportunities, either directly from the airport or by taking the S-Bahn (sub-urban trains) from the airport to the Frankfurt main station, and from there a regular train to Heidelberg. Check www.bahn.de for schedules and also discounted tickets. If this is your first visit to Frankfurt, don't confuse the "Main" in Frankfurt's designation, with main station. The Main refers to the river along which Frankfurt is located. The German word for main station is Hauptbahnhof", or Hbf.. if abbreviated.

Reply to: Passkontrolle and Customs clearance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Morfelden-Walldorf