We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naoussa vs. Antiparos

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Naoussa vs. Antiparos

Hi.

For those who have been to both, which one of the above places should I pick? I've heard Naoussa (in Paros) is beautiful and also that Antiparos is a lovely place. I want a still blue sea to sunbathe and swim. Also a lazy place to sleep while too hot, eat out in the evenings and stroll around doing nothing but admiring God's gift to human beings. Which one, please?

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naoussa vs. Antiparos

I stayed in Naoussa for five nights this past June, and spent most of the time visiting the sights all around Paros...this included a day in Antiparos. I liked both Naoussa and Antiparos...so to say which one would I stay at in the future would be a toss-up. Naoussa is a seaport that is going tourist, but still retains its charm and 'quaintness'. There are more shops, restaurants and hotels in Naoussa, and it is surrounded by some nice beaches. Antiparos is a special little place that is quieter, slower and offers a lot for people who wish to 'take it easy' and enjoy life without the crowds that many other Greek islands offer. There are some great beaches there that (in June) had very few people. The main town is charming and offers some great restaurants and scenery. I thought if I would go back to Paros, I would stay a few days in Antiparos and a be local for a few days. Either place is great....more to do in Naoussa, so it depends on what you are really looking for. Here is a link to some pictures I took in Paros and Antiparos. Good luck. travel.webshots.com/album/564151287nlZoBz

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naoussa vs. Antiparos

I stayed in Parikia, the main port of Paros this past May. I rented a car and drove to Naoussa and also drove to Antiparos. I think Antiparos is a bit to quiet for me. It was quaint but.. I foung that Parikia had the most to see, and was only a short ride from both Naoussa and Antiparos. If you drive or take a taxi to Naoussa, you can walk around the small port, and take a water taxi to the best beach ever! If you want to see Antiparos, you can take a day cruise around the island with Alexandros which lets you swim in the caves, and different spots around the island. You also get a BBQ lunch on a remote, sandy beach during the cruise. I personally dont think I would stay in either Naoussa or Antiparos cause they are both so close to Parikia, and I found that there was more to do where I stayed.

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naoussa vs. Antiparos

Thanks to you both. You've given me precious information. I guess I will have to weigh all that and choose...

Oxford
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Naoussa vs. Antiparos

I went to both places in June, and loved both. Naoussa is beautiful, but touristy and more expensive than other places (although not as bad as Mykonos, for example). There are some excellent beaches, one either side of the town and then others that you can get to by boat from the main harbour. There are loads of restaurants, many serving food a cut above the usual taverna fare, and the old village is a great place to just wander around in the evenings as it is a car-free zone with lots of little winding alleys.

Antiparos, on the other hand, is much smaller and very much quieter. The village has some nice little restaurants and is pleasant to wander around. I only went there twice during the day so can't say what it is like in the evenings. There is a lovely tree-fringed beach (with rather cold sea, at least in June!) and the cave is definitely worth a visit.

It is also really easy to get to other places on Paros. Lefkes in the interior is beautiful and you can do an easy walk along the byzantine path and then the road out to the coast at Piso Livadi, which has another nice beach, before catching the bus back to Naoussa or Parikia (and then Pounta for the ferry to Antiparos). Naxos is a short ferry hop away and you can get there from Parikia or by excursion boat from Naoussa.

At the end of the day the ferry from Antiparos is inexpensive and runs until late at night, taking only 10 minutes or so to get to Paros so you can pop between the two islands as you want. Buses meet the ferry to get you to Parikia and thence to the rest of Paros, so in many ways it depends on how much activity you want in the evenings as to which you choose. It is quite possible to base yourself in either location and see both islands. I loved Naoussa, but was very glad I was not there in high season as I think it would have been way too crowded for me.

Have a great time!

Helen

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naoussa vs. Antiparos

Thanks a lot Helen. I really appreciated the time and attention you gave me on my struggle to decide between the two places. Even tough I have 4 nights, I think I will only pick one place and then hop around.

Alex

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naoussa vs. Antiparos

Thanks a lot Helen. I really appreciated the time and attention you gave me on my struggle to decide between the two places. Even tough I have 4 nights, I think I will only pick one place and then hop around.

Alex

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naoussa vs. Antiparos

Alex, from your description, I think Antiparos is the place for you.

But if you cannot decide, why don't you split your days and go to both?

3 days in Antiparos and the rest in Paros will give you the chance to enjoy the beaches of both!

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Naoussa vs. Antiparos

That's also a strong possibility... I will be doing this in Istambul this coming October... and I will have much less luggage when back in Greece in June...

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Naoussa vs. Antiparos

By the way THj13, I will be arriving by catamaran from Santorini (I guess into Parikia). I also know they have hourly ferry to Antiparos from Pounta. The question is: do you know if they have buses connecting Parikia to Pount on a regular basis? From this information I can decide if I go first to Naoussa ou to Antiparos...

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Naoussa vs. Antiparos

Yes, there are buses going from Paroikia to Pounta. You can also go by taxi (8-10 euros, but please arrange the price before you reach your destination).

There also boats going from Paroikia to Antiparos, so unless it's too windy or you have a car you don't need to get to Pounta.