We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how busy is Naoussa in July?!

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
how busy is Naoussa in July?!

We are planning to visit Paros in July and have found somewhere 5 mins walk from the centre of Naoussa. The 4 adults will want somewhere quiet, pretty, typically greek. The 5 pre/teenagers (11-14) will want things going on, ie watersports, boat trips, being able to walk into town.

None of us will want loud bars, drunk tourists or wall to wall brits.

I know Naoussa will be busier than a small village, but am concerned the small village option will not offer enough for the teens.

If we went to Naoussa and went to town early, then retreated to villa in the afternoon, then hit the town again early evening - would that work? Any advise would be appreciated.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how busy is Naoussa in July?!

Naoussa attracts all kind of nationalities and ages...There are two rather average beaches on either side of town, fine for some swims and relaxing and by the harbor depart boat taxis to more interesting beaches, some with watersports and the like. You may connect on bus more or less with most points of interest on Paros, east side beaches included. There is boat trip from Naoussa to Mykonos/Delos a few times per week, and local travel agents arrange transport to Parikia and Pounda for the Antiparos boat trips.

There is a row of clubs across the road by the "river" coming from ring road till Naoussa and into the harbor and many busy bars by the harbor and hidden in lanes of the old town. Late July nightlife is much busier than early July nightlife and mostly with Greek youths than foreigners. I do not want this to sound discriminating, but on my experience a totally drunk Greek is much more civilized and never as loud and ridiculous as some half-drunk foreigners can be.

A few years ago I was based among the busy hotels of Piperi beach, a few hundred meters away of the center... On July very very rarely you could hear some loud people returning "home" at the crack of dawn,in general there was peace and quiet. Everyone I happen to talked to had a great time in Naoussa, either a teen wanted to party either an elderly couple wanted to relax.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how busy is Naoussa in July?!

Naoussa is a beautiful charming town - like a postcard with the fishing boats at night. Perfect place to stay if you don't want to drive at night for dinner/drinks/people watching. The preteens will have plenty to keep them occupied at night as will the adults for dinner. I've been to Paros many times and I always think its the perfect mix of a touristy/party island like Mykonos mixed with a more traditional/quiet island like Folegandros. You can find both quiet and action there.

I suggest in the daytime to drive around the islands to experience the different beaches. Also be sure to visit Lefkes - a beautiful traditional Kykladic village in the center of the island. There is a great meat taverna there called "To Klarino" for dinner. After all the fish & seafood in Naoussa, it will hit the spot for a switch-up.

We are also visiting Paros this July ..., see you there!

Edited: 10 January 2014, 02:24
Cheshire.uk
Level Contributor
16 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how busy is Naoussa in July?!

I have not been for a couple of years, but height of summer is busy but not in my opinion crowded.

Naoussa has always been and always will be my first choice to stay on Paros, having started going their on package holidays and for some time nowindependantly.

With the downturn in the Greek economy, I'm sure the Islands will be suffering unduly, especially as reported the local boats no longer go from Naoussa harbour over to the beautiful beach of Lageri, so it's now walk it !!! a 40 min walk..

Lot's of accommodation in Naoussa and good eating too- try open Garden restaurant..... i have know the owner for many years now and a brilliant cook..........

So yes do go and july would be fine... in a brighteconomy the ferry would have to be booked in advance but maybe not now . just hope everything gets better as the Greek people are always helful and Naoussa especially.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how busy is Naoussa in July?!

Paros and especially Naousa and Paroikia are the most well known places that tourists visits in the island.

The island attracts visitors all year long. It's also a famous destinations on early June for students.

However as i'm a frequent visitor of Paros i can say that during the last 2-3 years you can easily notice that there is a small drop in the number of tourists.

I know that the villa Drops of Heaven - Paros is a good choice for accommodation and has collected some nice ratings and reviews.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how busy is Naoussa in July?!

What do you expect when traveling to Greece during the High Season? Have you considered traveling during the off-season? You will get better prices, less crowds, weather good enough to wear a short sleeve shirt but not swelter and a more local flavor to where you are going. We are considering Paros this Oct., during the off season. We always travel to Greece during Oct. . . . less crowds, lower prices, good weather and more locals rather than tourists. The Greek Islands are changing . . . try to visit during the off season when you will get more locals than tourists and a truer sense of a Greek Island.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how busy is Naoussa in July?!

.. other than the fact that the 5 pre/teenagers (11-14) may be in school, Oct would certainly not offer them the variety of activities available (watersports) as in the Summer months:-) Although I love Sept.. and October as well.. it's not always easily doable for families with kids;-) Enjoy all!

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how busy is Naoussa in July?!

October is pleasant enough with mild weather and is fine for milling around and sight-seeing if that's what you want to do. However if you are a sun worshiper/sea/beach lover, summer is your season!!

The only time I would say it gets REALLY crowded on the islands in general, is from around 15th of August through the end of August. 15th of Aug. is a big holiday and a lot of Greeks take their holiday at that time. Add the tourists to that number and it can be very busy. Getting on and off ferries, for example, can be chaos. So, kkm60, you are set on going in July, but for anyone else reading this post, avoid that time period around 15th of Aug. if you don't want to be bothered with crowds.

Even during the busy times on the islands, you can still search out quiet beaches. Ask the locals where to go for that. Generally, the "organized" beaches with chairs/umbrellas, bars, etc. will always have crowds. For the quiet beaches, be sure to take your own water and umbrella. I also like to get a loaf of fresh baked bread, a hunk of local cheese, a beautiful summer tomato and voila .... food of the Gods!

For anyone wanting to avoid crowds but still travel in summer - consider the more out of the way islands. Everyone goes to Mykonos & Santorini et al. and so other islands in that group of "Cycladic Islands" (like Paros) will also often be visited. Try the less touristic islands like Kythira, Folegandros or Ikaria. Some others reading may even be able to suggest more.

As I said in my previous post, I’ll also be there in July this year so happy holiday to us!

Athens
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how busy is Naoussa in July?!

Naousa in july (especially before 25) is quite OK in terms of numbers of people.

If you stay in one of the hotels/rooms above Piperi beach (the entrance of Naousa coming from Paroikia), you will be even better, because it is within walking distance to all the hustle and bustle of Naousa plus it is quiet because there are no bars/restaurants there.

Theoharis

9. Re: how busy is Naoussa in July?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Naoussa