We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paros. Parikia or Naoussa???

Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Paros. Parikia or Naoussa???

Hi all. I'm looking at going to Greece next June and Paros has taken my eye. I'm looking for somewhere that's got character like and Naoussa and Parikia look nice but I'm at a loss as I don't know which one to go to. I don't want it to be quiet but I'm 48 so don't want it to be boom boom boom but I like it busy with good atmosphere in the taverns and bars. I originally liked the look of Parikia with the cobbled streets and old town but I've heard Naoussa is also busy and picturesque. Where should I go??

13 replies to this topic
Greece
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Paros. Parikia or Naoussa???

Hi David, in my opinion both locations are great,maybe Naoussa looks more "Greek" and a bit more pricey than Parikià. Don't be scared,you won't find boom-boom towns with party-people,Paros is pretty a low-profile Island,hopefully it will remain so 😜

If you are planning to use the public transport, Parikià would be the best option as from here all buses route depart,in addition to the small taxi boats ti the neighbour beaches(The beautiful Kryos and Martzelo)

If you're going to hire a car/scooter, both towns are conveniently located to explore this beautiful island.

Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Paros. Parikia or Naoussa???

Thanks for the advice. I've previously been to skiathos 28 years ago and loved it. The town was lively and picturesque and had atmosphere. The beaches were great and all within 5miles of the town . That's what I'm looking for ...a nice typically greek town that has lots of taverners and bars and character that is busy but not like kavos and amalia if you know what I mean. I like the whitewashed buildings and terra cotta roofs with cobbled streets with lots of taverners and bars around every little corner. A nice harbour. Skiathos was great. So I'm looking to beat that. Friends say goto lixouri in kefalonia and kamari in santorini. I do like the look of paros tho. Is there anywhere else you know of??

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
80 reviews
3. Re: Paros. Parikia or Naoussa???

I agree with Boqeron and I am sure Paros would fit the bill for you based on your own comments . The island is relatively small and travel between both resorts you mention is easy..

Have a look at Antiparos too for your plans as it is ideal to combine the two....

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
80 reviews
4. Re: Paros. Parikia or Naoussa???

Too late to edit but if you are okay exploring Paros has much more to offer than the main town and Naoussa.

Personally enjoy Piso Livadi and Alyki and others will no doubt chip in with their favourites too..

Greece
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
70 reviews
5. Re: Paros. Parikia or Naoussa???

David, during your period, I'm quite sure you'll find a relaxed atmosphere in Paros,whereever you might choose to go.If you liked so much Skiathos,Paros offers a different kind of architecture ,no terracotta roofs,but typical Cycladic whitewashed houses and very nice small alleys with bouganville flowers.

Absolutely not to compare to Lixouri in Kef and least of all to Kamari in Santorini (very,very touristic indeed).

Last but not least Paros has really gorgeous beaches with amazing crystal clear waters I'm afraid Santorini may offer beautiful views,but doesn't have exciting beaches and waters, like Paros has.

Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Paros. Parikia or Naoussa???

You've answered my questions spot on guys. Looks like I'm off to Paros🌝👍 I have a good idea what all the islands are like . Kos Crete corfu skiathos as I've been and I know what I would like. Don't want the typical greek high street like we all know scattered with pubs taverners etc. It looks scruffy. The old town at malia did impress so Parikia and Noussa fits the bill. My wife's friend likes skopolos and thassos so may try them at some stage in the future.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Paros. Parikia or Naoussa???

I have been going for some 25 years, and I still just choose on arrival between Parikia, Naoussa and Antiparos. You may just as well make a random choice.

I have stayed on Skiathos, Skopelos, Alonissos, Skyros for just as many years. That is more planned as ferries are easy.

They have all changed in 25 years that's for sure. There is more boom, boom in Skiathos town than any of those three choices on Paros.

None of those 3 Paros choices is like Skiathos town, the layouts are different, and of course Cycladic so few tiled roofs.

Any of those 3 Paros choices are way better than Lixouri on Kefalonia or Kamari beach. I have stayed in the latter several times as well as Fira town and Perissa. Lixouri is a very dull harbour with a grid of streets. Even Argostoli is more attractive. Other Brits I spoke to said the same about Lixouri and kept taking the ferry across to Argostoli.

It is very easy to add nearby Naxos which is yet another worthy contender.

Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Paros. Parikia or Naoussa???

Thanks for you reply. I WAS last in skiathos in 1990. I know it has changed as I've seen snippets on you tube. Paros Naxos etc tick all the boxes for me. Lixouri doesn't do it for me. I like the look of chania and Parga . Parikia looks lovely and I like the idea of strolling around the old town streets coming across all the taverns and bars. Belongings it's busy and has atmosphere I'll be ok. I'll go to Naoussa once or twice and sample a few beaches too. If you know of any other hidden gems that are full of life on a night but not boom boom boom don't hesitate to let me know.

Many thanks

Dave

Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Paros. Parikia or Naoussa???

Thanks for you reply. I WAS last in skiathos in 1990. I know it has changed as I've seen snippets on you tube. Paros Naxos etc tick all the boxes for me. Lixouri doesn't do it for me. I like the look of chania and Parga . Parikia looks lovely and I like the idea of strolling around the old town streets coming across all the taverns and bars. Belongings it's busy and has atmosphere I'll be ok. I'll go to Naoussa once or twice and sample a few beaches too. If you know of any other hidden gems that are full of life on a night but not boom boom boom don't hesitate to let me know.

Many thanks

Dave

New Jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
12 reviews
10. Re: Paros. Parikia or Naoussa???

going end of Septembe for 3 nightsr should I stay in Parikia or Naoussa - any hotel recommendations

Reply to: Paros. Parikia or Naoussa???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Parikia