We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parikia beach safety in June - Octopus

Brighton and Hove...
1 post
1 review
Parikia beach safety in June - Octopus

Hi, we are planning our honeymoon in Parikia next year in June. We heard from our Greek friend that Paros is not the best place for holiday because there are Octopuses which can bite you and its very Harmfull. Did anyone heard about it? Also can you eat in Parikia something else then fishes and seafood? We dont like seafood a lot so we were wondering if we could still enjoy Greek food there without being forced to eat seafood or fishes?

4 replies to this topic
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
5,107 posts
216 reviews
1. Re: Parikia beach safety in June - Octopus

Somebody must be joking with you. This is the first time ever I have heard of octopusses biting people. It is completely new to me, and I have been to different Greek islands, including Paros, very often. On the other hand I have heard of Scorpion fishes that may harm you if you tread on them.

Greek food is far more than sea-food. You may taste the best lamb or goat you have ever had. They taste of the herbs they have been eating. Pork is also widely used and so is beef. Not to mention all the wonderful sun-ripe vegetables. Avoiding sea-food you also make it far more cheap. Fish is expensive, meat not.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,718 posts
2. Re: Parikia beach safety in June - Octopus

You might want to bite an octopus (they are delicious) but they won’t bite you, and you are unlikely to even see one while swimming. Fresh fish are so expensive (octopus being an exception) in Greece that few people eat them very often. There are lots of good vegetarian dishes, plus the same meats you eat in England.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Parikia beach safety in June - Octopus

I had never heard of octopus biting swimmers before, either, until I met someone who used to live in Chania who showed me the marks on his leg from being bitten by one. I was speaking to him last fall shortly before our trip to Chania and other parts of Crete, and he warned me to be careful because he had suffered his bite at the same time of year we were travelling. I thought he was kidding me but he insisted that's what happened.

If I recall correctly, he said there's something about late fall that draws the octopus into areas that are popular with swimmers in summer months. So if that's true, there shouldn't be an issue with them in June.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 23:18
London, United...
Level Contributor
396 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Parikia beach safety in June - Octopus

You sound like you have been watching too many "Captain Nemo" movies. You are from Brighton, yes? You know there are jellyfish in British waters that present a greater risk (albeit, still a very small one) to you than any octopus. It is just not worth worrying about. In all the years I have been snorkeling in the Cyclades, I have yet to see an octopus (although I would dearly love to), except on my plate accompanied by a glass of ouzo.

Your second question is simply bizarre. Of course you won't be "forced" to eat anything you don't want to.

Edited: 08 August 2018, 07:51
Reply to: Parikia beach safety in June - Octopus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Parikia