We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

greek island hopping

melbourne
Level Contributor
32 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
greek island hopping

i am planning on travelling to the greek islands in the first week of october 2011 with wife and two kids (7 and 9). Will definitely be visiting Santorini. but are looking for another island to visit thats laid back, with nice beaches, charming villages and not too far off the main ferry routes???. (a bit old school greece would be nice, not party island greece)

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: greek island hopping

There are no party islands in early October, as it's the very end of the "summer" season. Even if you went to the top party destinations you'd be hard pressed to find anything that could be described as a lively gathering, let alone a party.

In any case, Naxos is the island you're looking for. Easy to get to from Santorini, plenty of nice beaches and charming villages. In October it will be very quiet, and swimming in the sea will require some determination, unless you like lower temperatures.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: greek island hopping

Hello!

Ypu (accidentaly?) posted this in Parikia specific forum, which is the main town on Paros island. And yes, Paros in a very good choice on the main ferry line from Santorini to Piraeus. An other great option may be Naxos island on the very same ferry route. (Sequence is Santorini-Naxos-Paros-Piraeus).

Both islands have nice beaches, charming villages and will be laid back. Well, to be honest all islands will be laid back on October, some even more laid back that you'd like them to : )))

Have a look at the relative forums and you will get many many information on those two islands!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: greek island hopping

Cross-posting Tinsey : )

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: greek island hopping

At least we're in agreement ;-)

melbourne
Level Contributor
32 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: greek island hopping

which town on Naxos, I've been to naxos before, but only hung around the port and wasnt terribly excited by it? I was even looking at naoussa on Paros ??

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: greek island hopping

In October on Naxos, you will be best off staying at St. George Beach adjacent to Naxos Town.... this beach is good for your children, shallow and thus will still be warm enough for swimming ... and you can walk in to Naxos Town for shops, cafes, music, restaurants. Good lodgings directly on the golden sands, that have family units (w. kitchenettes,balconies or patios) are Studios Thomais, Studios Kalergis, Sun Beach. Nice hotel right on sand is Asteria. You should not stay at farther-out beach areas, those are largely closed down... but Naxos has a large year-round population, and Naxos Town keeps humming.

Cannot understand if you found the town dull. YOu must have been stuck there between ferries and just sat at a cafe for 2 hours. There's a terrific maze-y agora that winds up to the top of Naxos Town, where there's a Byzantine Tower wtih cannons etc ... there are lots of maze-y lanes to get lost in ... You can go out on the causeway to the famous arch, and if the kids want, they can swim right off the causeway.

If you rent a car (waaaay cheaper than Santorini), you can drive all around the island -- mountains! Marble quarries! inland villages! Goats, sheep, cows, roosters. A Victorian-era liqueur distillery in Chalki ... a Greek temple on a hill ... stunning beaches, totally empty in October. Here are a couple of slide-shows taken by TA expert Stanbr ... travel.webshots.com/slideshow/552001505EYxVYT

travel.webshots.com/slideshow/570796960FtMsPF

.... NOTE: to make them go super-fast, click on a picture, menu drops down, and you just click next-next-next ...

Compared to this IMHO, Naoussa is a small fishing village now overwhelmed by concrete. Festive at night in season but other times ....

melbourne
Level Contributor
32 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: greek island hopping

thanks so much for your reply! I think im sold on the idea. and yes I was stuck between ferries on a stinking hot day.......so this might redress my naxos experience!

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: greek island hopping

Fantastic photos Jan, I really enjoyed your slideshow with my bank holiday breakfast.

After 3 (albeit short) visits to Naxos there is still an awful lot I've yet to see and we must hire a car next time.

Ios, Greece
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: greek island hopping

Ios is not a bad idea staying at Yialos Beach .

www.brothershotel.com

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: greek island hopping

Glad you liked the photos, Gemma, but I cannot take the credit. They're the work of another Naxos fan, Canada' s stanbr, who with his better half (also known as The Camera-Bag Bearer) has been to Naxos even more times than I have ... he's a gifted photographer AND his lovely spouse puts them up on the internet ... which I don't know how to do yet, with mine.

However, since we 3 have rendezvous'd there, a few of his pix reflect shared experiences. For instance, the BEST spot for sunset pix of Naxos Town seafront is at the cafe Day & Night at the far end from the arch... onthe table in the foreground of stanbr's shot there are 3 glasses... one of them is mine.

Get answers to your questions about Parikia
Recent Conversations