We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sinalunga vs Montepulciano

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sinalunga vs Montepulciano

Would it be recommended to use either Montepulciano or Sinalunga as a base of operations for exploring the area ? My concern is that Sinalunga would not have enough restaurants and bars to make it a nice place for dinner most nights. Does Montepulciano have more to offer in terms of shops and restaurants or would Sinalunga be a nice, off the beaten path bet ?

Grazie mille,

Matteo

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
12 replies to this topic
Italy
Level Contributor
4 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sinalunga vs Montepulciano

I think you would be most happy in Montepulciano. There are several restaurants in the town itself and then there are a few scattered at the base of the city. Montepulciano is a walking town with limited access via car. We've spent many a summer evening in this town and I never tire of walking the slopes of this charming town to the restaurant(s) we have chosen. Make sure you visit the bar located about midway up . . . you can either have a cappuccino in the morning or even an aperol spritzer in the evening . . . there is a fantastic balcony out the back which overlooks the valley. Keep in mind that driving times are always longer than the TOM/TOM suggests since the roads are winding.

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,779 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sinalunga vs Montepulciano

Ciao Matteo, I second all the comments above, especially in relation to walking the vehicle free lanes in the evening when all the day trip visitors have left. Montepulciano really comes into its own after seven in summer. The bar they refer to is Cafe Poliziano and it is most definitely worth a visit for breakfast, lunch and - especially - apertivi.

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sinalunga vs Montepulciano

Molto grazie

4. Re: Sinalunga vs Montepulciano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 January 2013, 14:35

dallas
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Sinalunga vs Montepulciano

how long of a drive to florence from singaluna.

Grazie!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,779 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sinalunga vs Montepulciano

Depending upon where you are in the town (for it's a sprawly place), let's say 10 mins to the A1 intersection at the Val di Chiana, from there it's slightly under an hour (depending upon the speed you drive, I believe it's around 90 km distance) to the autostrada exit at Firenze Impruneta (assuming no hold-ups), from there into the city centre (let's say Piazzale Michelangelo car park) it could take 10 or it could take 45 minutes depending upon the time of day you are driving through. From slightly further south, when I drive into Florence I leave home shortly after 6 am and am always in Piazza Signoria long before Rivoire opens at 8. Leaving early it is definitely quicker, more convenient and with two or more in the car even cheaper than taking the train.

Mentioned in this post
Piazzale Michelangelo
Piazzale Michelangelo
26,788 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Sinalunga, Italy
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sinalunga vs Montepulciano

sinalunga is a dump...an unending sequence of stripmalls, industrial warehouses and low end housing for immigrants

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Sinalunga vs Montepulciano

Sinalunga has a less touristy feel to it - and you'll have more variation in terms of where you can get to from there. There are some awesome restaurants around Sinalunga and Bettolle for example IL FORNACINO, LA LEOPOLDINA DI WALTER RAEDELLI, LA TORAIA, and it's also faster for CORTONA and AREZZO which are super!

Mentioned in this post
Ristorante Il Fornacino
Ristorante Il Fornacino
515 Reviews
Guazzino, Italy
La Toraia
La Toraia
741 Reviews
La Fratta, Italy
Bettolle
Bettolle
Sinalunga, Italy
Cortona
Cortona
Province of Arezzo, Italy
9. Re: Sinalunga vs Montepulciano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 15:19

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,779 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sinalunga vs Montepulciano

Sinalunga isn't a "bad" place, it's just not as interesting to visitors or as pretty either when compared to all the dozens of other towns and villages around. And that's the main issue really. Elsewhere in the world, the old town of Sinalunga with its narrow lanes, pleasant main square and quaint churches would possibly rate as something special but around here the competition is seriously fierce so it doesn't really get a look-in. It does see tourists and even though I warned some visitors a couple of years back on this board against renting a villa in what sounded to me like the modern industrial area wedged between the railway station and a shopping centre, they posted upon their return that they loved the convenience of being there, having easy access to the train, etc and had enjoyed a great vacation. It wouldn't be on my personal list of places to stay in this area, but we all have different tastes. Oh and those restaurants mentioned by Malvin all rate higher in my book than anything you'll find in Montepulciano.

Mentioned in this post
Montepulciano
Montepulciano
Province of Siena, Italy
Reply to: Sinalunga vs Montepulciano
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sinalunga
Recent Conversations