We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geiranger Itinerary

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
32 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Geiranger Itinerary

Planning a visit for (as it looks now) for 3-4 days in summer 2013. Would fly from Central Europe to Alesund. Maybe would like to see Alesund for couple of hours, then bus to Hellesylt + ferry Hellesylt/Geiranger.

Can anyone recommend me a reasonable itinerary?

How many days does it worth to count with for the whole trip?

Stay at cabin in Geiranger?

Downhill bike tour "Sky-to-Fjord" :-) ?

Any recommendable hiking/walking tour?

Car rental (is it a good idea)?

Other tips to do/see/avoid?

Thanks for tips and your own experiences.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,681 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geiranger Itinerary

Possible itineraries by public transport are found here:

visitalesund-geiranger.com/en/…

Renting a car instead of the public transport option is a good idea as you will be more flexible regarding day sightseeing and getting away from busy Geiranger and into the beautiful landscape. If you are 2-3 persons I would definitely consider renting a car.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geiranger Itinerary

I second the idea of renting a car (in Ålesund) if you are 2p or more.

Recommended drives: Geiranger-Valldal-Trollstigen: nasjonaleturistveger.no/en/geiranger-trollst…

Flydalsjuvet-Dalsnibba: amazingplacesonearth.com/wp-content/uploads/…

Recommended hike: Geiranger-Homlung-Skageflå: www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en/Product/…

More hikes: grande-hytteutleige.no/images/stories/inform…

Cabins: http://www.grande-hytteutleige.no/

Other activity: Kayaking on the Geirangerfjord: www.coastalodyssey.com/index.php…

grande-hytteutleige.no/en/activities/boathir…

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,281 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geiranger Itinerary

Rent the car in Ålesund (not in Geiranger), perhaps at the airport. I would not focus exclusively on Geiranger. Geiranger is only a small (and touristy village), and the Geirangerfjord is but one of the many great fjords in this area. By car you can explore a somewhat wider circle, for instance on the road to/from the airport.

Driving via Hellesylt gives a great panorama of the fjords

images.summitpost.org/original/441216.jpg

luringen.net/images/…202004_0.JPG

Nextdoor Hjørundfjord is also impressive

62.no/upload_images/4FFA113A3FF74023A93E75CA…

hjorundfjord.no/grafikk/…cruiseskip1.jpg

hjorundfjord.no/grafikk/artiklar/slogen.jpg

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
32 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Geiranger Itinerary

Thanks to all for their tips...

I am thinking of a circle by car:

Ålesund airport - Festoya ferry - Ørsta - Sæbø - Leknes ferry - Hellesylt - Geiranger ferry - Eidsdal - Linge ferry - Valldal - Andalsnes - and then back to Ålesund.

Does that sound reasonable? How many days to count to do that and stay relaxed, maybe to include even some hiking in the afternoon? Sorry but from my corner of Europe, it is hard to estimate the distance of driving around fjords in hours...

I am also thinking to take Hurtigruten from Ålesund to Geiranger, but that seems to be difficult to combine with a car, so I will probably have to skip that.

Thanks.

Edited: 28 November 2012, 20:28
Oslo
Level Contributor
14,281 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Geiranger Itinerary

You can use Google Maps to calculate kilometers, then about 1 km per 1 min plus waiting for ferries.

Ålesund to Geiranger and back to Ålesund you can do in 1 day, some 300+ km with detours. But for relaxed speed I would split that in at least 2 days, at least one stay overnight along the drive.

Royken, Norway
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Geiranger Itinerary

Hi...one of the best experiences I have had with renting a car in Norway is through Rent A Wreck...the cars have always been great, excellent service and great prices in comparison to other car companies in Scandinavia. You might want to check it out and do a few comparisons before you book...

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
32 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Geiranger Itinerary

Further to this, may I ask someone who knows this area for helping me to adjust my itinerary. This May, I would like to make a 5 day (incl. day of arrival and day of departure) trip by car roughly as follows:

Ålesund-Andalsnes-Trollstigen-Geiranger-(ferry)-Hellesylt-back to Ålesund.

I need some orientation (idea) how to divide the whole trip to 5 days and roughly at which places would be a good idea to stay overnight.

Do I need to book accomodation (preferably cabins) well in advance (for trip in May)? 3 people are travelling.

Example:

Day 1: arrival Ålesund + transfer to Andalsnes (overnight)

Day 2: Trollstigen - Geiranger - Hellesylt (overnight)

Day 3: free (Hellesylt overnight)

Day 4: Hellesylt - Valldal (ferry) - Ålesund (overnight)

Day 5: departure

Thanks/Stefff

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,681 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Geiranger Itinerary

@Stefff

Your itinerary looks fine - just bear in mind that Trollstigen does not open till May and exactly when depends on the weather/snow conditions. In 2012 the road opened June 1st.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,281 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Geiranger Itinerary

The drive is not so long that you need to split in many days, so perhaps consider having one base only and explore from there, Valldal or Eidsdal for instance.

From Geiranger back to Ålesund you can do the Geiranger-Hellesylt car ferry (a highlight).

Note that Trollstigen mt pass opens mid or late May.

From Geiranger you can visit Dalsnibba mt summit (opens mid or perhaps early May), June:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil:Djupvasshytta_snow_j…

From Hellesylt towards Ålesund you can drive the short route via Stranda or the longer (and more exciting) via Norangsdalen/Ørsta.

no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil:Norangsdalen.jpg

Opening of Trollstigen

…wikipedia.org/wiki/….C3.85pningstidspunkt

Edited: 16 January 2013, 13:08
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,684 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Geiranger Itinerary

Here's a useful link for comparing car hire prices in Norway: http://www.finn.no/r/leiebiler/

It's in Norwegian but if you open in Chrome browser with the autotranslate feature turned on you should be able to use it.