We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus: Geiranger to Stryn/Sogndal

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
33 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Bus: Geiranger to Stryn/Sogndal

I hope to travel from geiranger to stryn/sogndal in july. So that I can catch up the blue ice walk next day. Is there any bus service? What is the price? Would the route pass through dalsnibba?

Thanks for your assistance.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Bus: Geiranger to Stryn/Sogndal

I was a little concerned about buses being busy in July holiday season but was reassured by the bus guarantee. However most of the buses we went on were nowhere near full - for example the 10:30 bus from Langvatn to Lom had at most 8-10 people on it; the bus over Sognefjellet from Lom maybe 12. This was on July 12 (a Friday). I was told by locals that tourists using buses is helpful as the services are under pressure.

Norsc is right about the weather on Sognefjell but we were amazingly lucky and had blue sky and sunshine for the trip! We did the blue ice walk on Nigardsbreen and it was fantastic. We got the bus from Eplet in Solvorn and it worked perfectly. Again, not busy at all. No need to book, even if it were possible. And you'll get 25% discount as a group of 4. The bus system is very efficient; buses which are meant to connect do connect - the driver will wait if necessary.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bus: Geiranger to Stryn/Sogndal

There several glaciers, near Sogndal the most common glacier hike is at Nigardsbreen in Jostedaln valley (from road 55 at Gaupne)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
33 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bus: Geiranger to Stryn/Sogndal

Thanks all for your help. I will report if I finish the trip.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
65 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bus: Geiranger to Stryn/Sogndal

Hi I am also looking for a route geiranger to sogndal - I've found all of the connections via Stryn which seems be the quickest at around 6hrs but also interested in the route you suggest via lom. I can find timetables for geiranger to langvatn and also the lom to sogndal leg but I can't find the langvatn to lom part. Do you have a link or know the bus company so I can google? I like this idea because the lom to sogndal road looks amazing although the 4hr wait in lom is less good when you have a suitcase !

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,353 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bus: Geiranger to Stryn/Sogndal

@speedqueen - when are you travelling ? The Sognefjellet bus is high season only.

ruteinfo.net/RuteinfoIISStaticTables/Tables/…

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Bus: Geiranger to Stryn/Sogndal

The bus you need to take from Langvatn to Lom is called NX147 Nordfjordekspressen, link posted by OV in reply nr. 2.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
33 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Bus: Geiranger to Stryn/Sogndal

hi, speedqueen, what is the connection can go from geiranger to sognal within 6 hours? I have found a route as following:

Ferry: Geiranger -> Hellesylt

Bus route 431: Hellesylt -> Stryn -> Skei (Operated by Norway Express Bus)

Bus route NX170 Skei -> Sogndal (Operated by netbus)

It takes whole day.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
33 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Bus: Geiranger to Stryn/Sogndal

To klimaflyktning,

Actually I have tried your link, but I have found that there is no connection between geiranger and sogndal on saturdays. It's so strange and I actually planned to leave geiranger on saturday(26/7). Anyone knows the reason?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Bus: Geiranger to Stryn/Sogndal

Bus time tables are mostly adapted to the needs of the local users, most of them have less need to travel on a Saturday afternoon/evening, hence some departures are omitted.

It is possible to travel from Geiranger to Sogndal on a Saturday, but you will have a 4h wait at Skei, not convenient.

On week-days the connection takes around 6h all the way from Geiranger.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
33 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Bus: Geiranger to Stryn/Sogndal

To: iverh

Thanks. My schedule is tight so I still wish to do it on that saturday. Is there any good things to do at stryn and skei during the waiting time? Any place for luggage storage?

Thanks so much!

Edited: 20 April 2014, 15:25
Get answers to your questions about Geiranger