We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help needed for the easter

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Level Contributor
5 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
help needed for the easter

I know there is still time- but I always plan ahead.

I need your help:

we will be going from bergen to oslo in early april. I succeeded to arrange the first two days (bergen-flam- sogndal) and the last two days (lom-lilehamer-bergen). the middle is hell!

I cannot find open hotels (beside union hotel in geiranger) but I could not find a way to get to geiranger- unless I am coming from aalesund- which will make the drive much longer.

I have two more days in the middle- I wanted to spend one night in olden (or around) and one in geiranger (or around)- but I did not succeed.

could you please help?

thank you,

Oren

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help needed for the easter

Driving via Ålesund or Sjøholt are the only options to get to or from Geiranger in winter. Your driving routes will be much longer than they would be in summer.

I would suggest you skip Geiranger, stay for a night or two in Nordfjord instead. From Nordfjord you can easily reach Lom on route 15. I believe Gloppen Hotell at Sandane and Hotel Alexandra in Loen are open all year.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,706 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help needed for the easter

From Lom the shortest route to Geiranger is via Stryn-Hellesylt-Stranda-Linge. Practical only with a car.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help needed for the easter

I recently stay at Hotel Utsikten in Gerianger. This hotel is only open for booking in booking.com in Mar and only open to customers in mid-May. The hotel did not reply my email till early May and I almost thought we may need to sleep in the car. :)

You might want to email the hotels directly to check for vacancies?

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: help needed for the easter

Thank you all so far :

1. Yes, we will be with a car and yes, going through aalesund will be mad.

2. I found out about this route and about hotel Alexandra and I am waiting for their reply.

3. I am in direct contact with allmost every hotel but Alexandra, for example, fell between the creeks...

4. I guess that visiting geirangerfjord through hellsylt (wrong spelling) will be the best I can do.

So one last question, according to the conclusions we made, will I find myself driving on snowy roads or are those roads clear in April?

Thank you very much,

Oren

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help needed for the easter

The roads will likely be bare, but there is always a risk of new snowfall in April, in particular on route 15 across Strynefjell. This photo shows recent snowfall in May 2011: …google.com/mw-panoramio/…35303205.jpg

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,706 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help needed for the easter

Note that ferry Hellesylt-Geiranger start season mid April before the Geiranger road is open, check Fjord1 sight next year. Geirangerfjord is certainly nice, but out of season perhaps easier to visit other fjords. Stryn/Olden for instance sits on one of the great fjords, driving the "Panorama road" there gives an excellent view.

Roads are cleared constantly during snowfall and by early April snow/ice on roads is usually gone after the winter. But on higher sections snow may still fall and ice may still form during night. Usually no problem at least if sun is allowed to heat the asphalt, but be aware on road 15 and road 60.

7. Re: help needed for the easter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Geiranger