We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reaching Geiranger from Gjendesheim

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Reaching Geiranger from Gjendesheim

I have been trying to search desperately bus routes and timetable for reaching Geiranger from Gjendesheim but have not been able. I am taking the below route Oslo to Gjendesheim to Geiranger to Alesund in 4 days and a flight back to Oslo in the month of July.

Can somebody please advise on best way of reaching Geiranger to Gjendesheim and Geiranger to Alesund by bus. Where can I find the timetables and fares?

Or should I simply take a car from Oslo and drive on this route. The car hire, as everything else, is turning put to be quite expensive. I wish to travel this route via bus if possible.

Awaiting your replies.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,368 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reaching Geiranger from Gjendesheim

You can return from Gjendesheim to Otta in the morning and continue by train to Åndalsnes. From Åndalsnes there are buses over Trollstigen pass to Geiranger in season. Bus or cruise ferry from Geiranger to Ålesund.

www.rutebok.no

www.nsb.no

http://www.177mr.no/

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reaching Geiranger from Gjendesheim

Thanks a lot for your reply. This seems to be a loger route. Is there no way we can take a bus to vagamo or Lom from Gjendesheim and then change bus to geiranger along route 15. I can see this route on the map but not able to find any information online on buses plying on this route.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,368 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reaching Geiranger from Gjendesheim

The only connections to Geiranger are from Åndalsnes (seasonal), Hellesylt (seasonal ferry) and Ålesund (bus or seasonal cruise ferry).

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reaching Geiranger from Gjendesheim

Unfortunately there is no correspondance to Geiranger from Nordfjordekspressen coming from Oslo (but it is possible to travel in the opposite direction). You can take local bus line 560 to Vågamo and change to Nordfjordekspressen, but you would have to travel all the way to Stryn and stay overnight. Next day you could take bus to Hellesylt and the ferry to Geiranger.

The itinerary described by klimaflyktning will also require two days. Due to the infrequent bus services it is not possible to travel from Gjendesheim to Geiranger with public transport in one day.

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reaching Geiranger from Gjendesheim

Thanks a lot for your replies. Can I hire a cab to get from Gjendsheim to Geiranger? Or the only possibility I see is hiring a car all the way from Oslo?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reaching Geiranger from Gjendesheim

Renting a car from Oslo would be cheaper than hiring a cab from Gjendesheim to Geiranger. But here is another suggestion:

- Take bus line 560 Gjendesheim-Vågåmo and Nordfjordekspressen Vågåmo-Langvatn (nettbuss.no/rutetilbud/ekspressbuss/nettbuss…). Prebook a taxi from Geiranger to pick you up at Langvatn at 1715 and drive you the 22km to Geiranger. Call Geiranger Taxi: http://www.geirangertaxi.no/

If you are the sporty type, you could also try walking/hitchhiking.

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reaching Geiranger from Gjendesheim

Thanks a ton for this!! This might work for us.

What would be the best place to stay for Bessegen Hike? Also, if we reach Gjendsheim at 2 pm by bus from Oslo, can we look at doing the Beseggen Hike starting 3pm same day via ferry to memurubu and trek back to Gjendsheim and be back by 11 pm.

We can then leave for Geiranger the next day as you suggested.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reaching Geiranger from Gjendesheim

Your suggestion should be possible if you are fit and up to effort late into the evening. Remember to bring food and drink!

Next day there is no reason to leave Gjendesheim before the bus to Vågåmo at 1425. Another option for the hike is to take the boat to Memurubu in the afternoon/evening of day 1, stay overnight at Memurubu, start the hike early (0600 at the latest) day 2.

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reaching Geiranger from Gjendesheim

Once again, thanks for your suggestions. Really helpful. Have reached out to the taxi company.

Recommended hotel/lodge to stay in Gjendsheim/Geiranger (budget please)?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reaching Geiranger from Gjendesheim

Gjendesheim is a mountain lodge, there is nothing else there: http://gjendesheim.turistforeningen.no/ . In addition to Memurubu mentionned above, it is the only possible place to stay if you don't have a car to drive somewhere else.

I am not familiar with the lodging options in Geiranger, but a simple cabin at one of the camping sites is probably the cheapest option. Grande Hytteutleige gets good reviews, 2km from the center of Geiranger: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g642196-d153257…