We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geiranger-Alesund in winter

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Geiranger hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
Geiranger-Alesund in winter

Dear All,

I know the answer is probably negative... Is there anyway for me to do any sightseeing in Geiranger in February 2015? Further, I don't have a car but I really want to force my way through from Alesund to Geiranger, preferrably force my way straight down to Sognefjord and Bergen from there.

So... my question apparently is, are there any form of public transport to and from Geiranger that is still available in February?

Otherwise, where else can I visit in the Alesund area in February, or should I just skip the area totally for somewhere else?

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Bosco

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Geiranger-Alesund in winter

You will find bus timetables for the area south of Alesund (including Geiranger), as well as express bus services to the Sognefjord and Bergen on this link

frammr.no/Portals/…Sunnmore.pdf

It is possible to get to Geiranger by bus all year round, but the ferry along the Geirangerfjord only runs in summer (May to September). You won't see many other tourists around in February you can get almost anywhere in the western fjord area on public transport with careful planning. the same as the local residents do.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Geiranger-Alesund in winter

No Alesund - Geiranger bus in winter according to your table... page 40-41...

Bosco

Edited: 24 July 2014, 17:29
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
11,999 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geiranger-Alesund in winter

Winter timetable is on page 40 - valid 01.09.13.-30.04.14 - probably a mistake that the first timetable on this page doesn't show these dates.

Edited: 24 July 2014, 17:41
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,818 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Geiranger-Alesund in winter

I suppose we have to wait for the winter 2015 timetable. Using the timetable for this year, it seems it is not possible to do a same day return to Geiranger in winter and all accomodation is closed off season.

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Doha, Kerala
Level Contributor
11,045 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Geiranger-Alesund in winter

Having been to Geiranger last month, I heard from the locals the same thing as posted by klimaflyktning.

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,758 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Geiranger-Alesund in winter

Geiranger is nice, but different and certainly isolated in winter. If you want to visit a fjord in winter, there are plenty similar and more available fjords, notably at Flåm. I don't think it is worth the effort and money going there in winter, and if you rent a car you have to drive all those roads on snow or ice.

7. Re: Geiranger-Alesund in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 05:15