We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice bars and places to eat.

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
165 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Nice bars and places to eat.

Hi everyone, my wife and I are making our first visit to the Algarve next month staying in Alvor for one week,we are both in our mid fifties and would like recommendations for bars,cafes, not to expensive places to eat,we are self catering but would like to eat out in the evening.is it possible to to eat out for 30-40 euros for two !!! many thanks Al.

Algarve alvor
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice bars and places to eat.

I live in alvor and reccomend it for sure,you can eat for your budget but choose the little portuguese cafes and bars and restaurants you will find it cheaper than english places.

The Chill out bar in Dunas complex sells pints for a euro and does some great snacks.

their are some nice restaurants on the beautiful alvor beach but these can be more expensive than the ones in the cobbled streets of alvor hope this helps

cathy

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice bars and places to eat.

Algarvecat57, whereabouts is the dunas in relation to Alvor Taxi Rank at the roundabout.

A group of us (play golf) stay at the Dom Joao every year and enjoy the social side of drinking and having read about your comment that you can get a pint for 1 euro would love to try it out, we're not big drinkers because we are actually there for the Golf. Anything that saves money is worth looking into, having said that if it's not nice then I'd ratehr pay the extra.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice bars and places to eat.

i ate out in three places recently and found them to be excellent

the first was vagabondas - great service excellent meals

the second was actually right across the street from vagabondas, it is a sister restaurant to vagabondas.

and the third was the Italian just down the street from vagabondas - to the right on the way down to harbour - up a little side street. again, vagabondas has a link to this restaruant - the three places were excellent -sorr I forget the names.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice bars and places to eat.

goodvilles was the name of the one across from vagabonda.

there are some nice pubs where you can sit out on the main stretch - however, I don't know if anyone else had this experience but we walked down one of the sidestreets and came acroos some Irish bars - black stove area - we found it to be horribe, tacky, and quite loud rowdy.

we were walking back towards the main stretch which is lovely and three english guys with skin head, tattoos, called us racist names when they heard us talking. It was terrible. I hope this was just a one off and that alvor doesn't become some cheap tacky resort over the next couple years.

we did mention it to a local boy who was serving us and he agreed the bars there in the little area were horrible and not to bother going there.

Portimao, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice bars and places to eat.

For Santo. From taxi rank walk towards the secondary school. As if going towards Alto Golf.

Take your first right, following the bend around so that you are still next to the school.

Walk about 150 yards and on the left you will see Chill Out Bar. Try their super huge toasties too.....1 will fill 3 of you.

rochdale
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice bars and places to eat.

we have been going to Alvor for the past few years and I can agree with you about the Black Stove its filthy.. We are having a change this year and tomorrow we are holidaying in Lagos.

We will be going to Alvor for a couple of evening thou.

I hope your experience with the louts was a one off

because It would spoil what is a beautiful friendly village.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice bars and places to eat.

Hi,

We liked Goodville's too opposite Vagabondo. We also liked Al Dente which is just outside the Dunas do Alvor complex.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice bars and places to eat.

the black Stove was not Filthy when i was in it last September and I'm going back to Alvor on Tuesday,

Weate at the A Lote I think its called superb food, also a place acros from the black Stove did great food, can't remember the name but it was all seated outside

Dublin
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice bars and places to eat.

Hi Aljanon, just back from Alvor today. Lovely spot to relax and unwind. Quiet and the village has lovely restaurants all very reasonably priced. Here are a list of the restuarants we visited and highly recommend:

1. O Chef Jao (by far the best in Alvor, lovely fresh grilled fish - sole and bream - and piri piri chicken, and service is very friendly)

2. Tasca Morais (try the seafood rice - amazing. It can be found up the street from Paddy's Irish Bar)

3. Taberna Ze Morgadinho (located down by the harbour across from the Fisherman's Rest)

4. Goodvilles (doesn't have the rustic Alvor restuarant feel but food is very good)

5. Buganvila (tried it as there were many posts on this website about it. I had fish for starters and main course and was disappointed with both but my girlfriend had the Fillet Steak on the Stone and was bowled over. Definitely worth a visit for the steak on the stone.)

The most expensive meal for two was for roughly 60euro (2 x Starters, 2 x Mains, 2 x Desserts, Bottle of wine). Highly recommend Alvor.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice bars and places to eat.

Hi Aljanon, we've just come back from Alvor, and we found the little cafe/restaurant on the corner I think it's called Albar to be quite good and very reasonable, especially if you just want a light meal as opposed to a full "blow out".

While you're there you must try the 5 Quinas on the beach, the food is excellent and the owners are extremely friendly !!

Hope you have a lovely time.

Get answers to your questions about Alvor