We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portugal trails

New York
1 post
Save Topic
Portugal trails

Does anyone know about the tour company Portugal Trails? Has anyone used them? They are self guided tours. They set up trip and hotles

New York City
Level Contributor
14 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portugal trails

Yes, if you search for Portugal Trails in the Portugal forum, you'll find very good (though perhaps dated) reviews. Here's a link to them:

tripadvisor.com/…32627282

Next week, I'm starting a 10-day trip with Portugal Trails. I'll report back afterwards.

New York City
Level Contributor
14 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portugal trails

I just returned from a 10-day trip booked through Portugal Trails (PT), and they were great in all respects: professional, prompt and well-priced. Except for the person from PT who picked me up at Lisbon airport and took me to the hotel, I dealt with them exclusively by email, but they were always available to talk by phone. Before the trip, they suggested an itinerary, and we emailed back and forth to make some changes and fine tune it. We stayed in 4 hotels/inns over the course of 10 days, all of which PT set up for us very smoothly. As we rented a car (which PT had delivered to our hotel), we also rented from PT a GPS in which they had pre-programmed all the places we were planning to go -- a nice touch. The experience couldn't have been better. I have nothing but good things to say about Portugal Trails.

St. Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portugal trails

We, too, have booked with P.T. for a 10 day trip which sounds very similar to yours. Just wondering what kind of tipping occurred for the airport greeter and on the private tours and how that is handled. Also, some insight for the general tipping guidelines of Portugal.

Another question... can you give us some suggestions for really good local restaurants in the cities you visited. We are staying in Porto, Evora, Sintra and Lisbon and we will have a car. We like to eat where the locals eat.

Thanks for your input!

Marlee

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portugal trails

In August, my wife and I toured Northern Portugal with Portugal trails. From our initial contact with Ines Leitao of Portugal Trails, our experience with this company has been exceptional. Their advice on hotels, attractions, dining establishments including those off the beaten path, we consider invaluable. We were provided with a colour brochure of our trip, including a pre-programmed GPS that made life too easy. We toured for nine days, and enjoyed every bit of it. The only regret is that, we did not give ourselves a bit more time.

We are experienced travellers who, for the most part, travel independently. We are so glad that we chose to travel with Portugal Trails, as they have an in-depth knowledge of their country.

We strongly recommend Portugal Trails, and have no hesitation in using them for our next trip to this lovely country. Ines, thank you for making our visit to Portugal a most memorable one. For a reasonably young company, you must be doing something right. All the best.

Edited: 13 September 2012, 15:14
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portugal trails

Thanks to Trip Advisor for helping us Portugal Trails. We have never met Vanessa Pinto but she seems like an old friend now. After many e-mails she came up with a perfect ten day trip for my wife and me. The rental car was delivered to our hotel in Lisbon and picked up in Sintra a week later. The programed GPS was essential in this country of confusing highways. We used the 24 hour phone service several times when we encountered problems.

Every hotel was special and different. Ending at the Tivoli Palace in Sintra was a brilliant choice. I hope that I can find a similar travel service for every country that we visit.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portugal trails

We have just completed an extensive (17 day) trip of Portugal - all booked through Portugal Trails. They handled all the hotel bookings, car rental, airport pick-up at Porto. We prefer to do our own visits to places of interest, without a guide. Portugal trails provided us with a pre-programmed GPS and a full (suggested) itinerary for all the days, with places of interest for each day + a very comprehensive guidebook (similar to Lonely Planet Books). Everything went very smoothly and we had a very enjoyable trip.

All the hotels booked were clean and comfortable.

We would recommend them to anyone who is planning a trip to Portugal and want the hassles taken out of organising everything.

We communicated extensively on email, till we got the package we wanted and were very happy with the outcome.

San Marcos...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portugal trails

Donna at Portugal Trails organized a 4 day trip to Lisbon and surrounding for our group of 14. She also put together an addition 4 days for my wife and I. In a word they were exceptional. Their suggested hotels were great - Britania in Lisbon, Quinta das Lagrimas in Coimbra and Pestana Porto in Porto. The guides they provided were very knowledgeable, outgoing and willing to modify to whatever we wanted. The GPS they provide with everything preprogramed was a god send. Donna was responsive to all our needs both in planning the tour and when we were in Portugal. I recommend them to anyone who wants a customized and personal tour.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portugal trails

It's nice to see so many positive comments about Portugal Trails. Not quite sure though why they're all appearing on the Alvor forum.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Portugal trails

and as first time posters?!

Inverurie, United...
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Portugal trails

And they all give so much detailed information as well.

Get answers to your questions about Alvor
Recent Conversations