We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Club Alvoferias - Which side of road

Which Alvor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
Level Contributor
943 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Club Alvoferias - Which side of road

Staying in Club Alvoferias in July with my wife and 13yo son. Are there any recommendations for what apartments to ask for, which side of the main road for example?

Oldham, United...
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Club Alvoferias - Which side of road

There are two sides to the complex, the recepetion adn non-reception side, linked by a footbridge. The shop and bar etc are all on the reception side and there is a pool on both sides. The non-recpetion side has a small poor bar attached so that you don't have to traipse all the way over to the other side for a drink or snack.

I guess it depends what you want - the reception side pool tends to be busier during the day so your son might prefer that, think there is a bit more going on. The other side is quieter.

On the other hand, some people have reported the bar area to be quite noisy at night, so you may prefer to be away from that.

We stayed on the non-recpetion side last year and had no problem with any noise, nice size apartment overlooking the pool. We asked if they could accomodate us on that side after reading reports saying the other side was a bit busier and noisier, sent them an email and got a really quick reply to say they would try to meet our request, which they did so. Even put us and our luggage in a minibus when we checked in to take us over there - much appreciated, other than that, it's wheel your cases up and over the footbridge or play chicken on the main road!!

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
134 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Club Alvoferias - Which side of road

Now this is a tough one! You may have read my review on the apartments, we stayed in early June and had a two bed on the reception side. In the day this is great as you are near the reception, the pool bar, the pool with the activites for the kids and aldults and also the shop. HOWEVER, if you have an apartment near the pool/bar you are more than likely to be disturbed till 3am by the evening bar downstairs and it's smokers, one night I was kept up til 6am! It is a really hard call as I wouldn't want to be over the quiet side in the day as I'd feel detached and that side is the older side and is slightly more rundown in my opinion. Personally I'd ask for reception side but to the rear of the complex. You may not get your wish but no harm in trying.

Oldham, United...
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Club Alvoferias - Which side of road

That's the problem, there's no guarantee they can put you in your chosen area. Whilst our apartment was a little dated (fab 60's orange phone!!) it was perfectly serviceable and spotlessly clean, no issues with anything not working or anything like that.

Around the pool was quite busy during the day, but not "in your face". There is a pool bar on that side too, incidentally, serves tea/coffee, soft drinks, beers, snacks, ice cream, etc. I quite often wandered over the bridge - there's a cut-through between the apartments from by the pool, took 2 minutes to walk over - if we needed anything from the shop.

london
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Club Alvoferias - Which side of road

I am suprised that with these issues people dont look at other complexes that have good access to the town and beach and also a pool .

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Club Alvoferias - Which side of road

The reason Alvorferias is popular is because it has two large pool areas, there are plenty of kids and teenagers there so there is a good social scene for the youngsters and it's relatively inexpensive.

london
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Club Alvoferias - Which side of road

point taken ..although it does sound like you are taking a chance on what room you get .

Oldham, United...
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Club Alvoferias - Which side of road

It's a very large complex, so the chances of having a room close by to the noisier areas are, to be honest, minimal. Most reviews are quite positive I feel, yes they are a little dated, but the price is reasonable. When I stayed there last year, albeit via a TO, the comparitive prices for other accomodation was far in excess of this and at the time, I needed a good deal.

I don;t mind the walk, after a big meal and a few drinks, it's a nice chance to get a bit of exercise and the fresh air leaves you ready for bed in no time!

I appreciate you get what you pay for, but for 2 good sized pools, entertainment and activities for the younger ones if required and large well equipped apartments, I don't feel they should be excluded from people's shortlists.

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
134 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Club Alvoferias - Which side of road

Fawlboy, I think the answer to why people like myself have gone there is simple, money.

Killorglin, Ireland
Level Contributor
300 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Club Alvoferias - Which side of road

just to chip in,i would pick the reception side only because of the handiness of the shop,but really once you have been you will definitely go again and then you will know better,as said it it is a big place and as noise levels go no two weeks are the same

Glasgow
Level Contributor
943 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Club Alvoferias - Which side of road

Thanks for all the replies.

Get answers to your questions about Alvor