We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alvor Restaurants

Which Alvor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Level Contributor
956 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Alvor Restaurants

we are coming to Alvor soon, our first time, we are a couple in our 40's we like good food, fish especially and we enjoy tasting wines. We usually budget €80 to €120 for our evening dinner. So far we have picked out O luis and Buzio which seem to be close to the pestana on the beach. Any advice would be appreciated. Also what are the Irish bars like?

Edited: 25 February 2013, 10:22
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Alvor Restaurants

It's really entertaining to read all the replys regarding restaurant recommendations. Everyone has different needs and expectations and what suits one does not suit another.

I am currently staying in the Alvor Park Hotel and these are my favourite restaurants following trial and error over eight years.

Ruccula

Atlantida

Capacho

Paesano

Por Do sol

Salsa Bistro

L'Angola

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Alvor Restaurants

You should try Chef Joa, excellent fish cooked on the outdoor barbeque or Morgandino's. Been going for 27 years.....love it.

Dublin
Level Contributor
956 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Alvor Restaurants

food for thought indeed!

thank you for all the replies

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Alvor Restaurants

Actually Capacho is not a bad recommendation. It's just up from the taxi rank (diagonally opposite The Black Stove) and I've often passed it by without ever going in.

I decided to try it when I was over there last November and had a very nice fish meal at a very reasonable price. I will definitely be trying it again and it may become an addition to my (already lengthy) list of recommended restaurants.

Incidentally, Ruccula is mentioned a number of times in this thread. Some people highly recommend it, others think it's over-rated and there have been mixed comments about the service. My own experience was somewhat mixed. I went once with my wife and thought it was nice enough. The second time I went, it was with my son and we were shown to a table and then ignored for about five minutes without even being offered a menu.

At that point, two women came in who were obviously regular customers and the waiter made a great fuss over them, brought them to their table, produced menus straight away and went off to get them drinks. I looked at my watch and said to my son that if nobody approached us within another five minutes, I was going to leave. He didn't feel we should even wait that long. Anyway, we waited the full five minutes and then got up to leave. I

t was only then that the waiter seemed to notice us and asked if everything was OK. I told him that it was not OK that we had been ignored for almost 15 minutes and that we were leaving. I don't recall whether he apologised, but he certainly did not make any real effort to persuade us to stay. I've been back to Alvor somewhere between 15 and 20 times since then and there are a number of restaurants that I have visited each time I was there. Ruccula is not one of them.

PaulV

Portsmouth, UK
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
470 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Alvor Restaurants

I'll add my vote for Chef Joao and throw in Arco Da Velha too....

Scotland
Level Contributor
260 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Alvor Restaurants

I agree with Paul. Ruccula is over-rated. Have been once and found it an exhausting experience. The service became frenetic as the evening progressed. Waiting staff whizzing about, setting up extra tables for regular diners and generally creating more fuss than necessary. Then, we had to wait ages for a dessert menu. The food was very good but also very UK . You could eat similar fare at home. Much prefer the ambience ,style and high quality of Por do Sol.

Tarporley, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Alvor Restaurants

Just to throw another restaurant in the mix Big Reds is very good,love the Scallops.In my opinion, there are to many good restaurants in Alvor, and life is to short to book a table or queue for a table, which you very often have to do at Racculas,that said if ever i turned up and they had a table i would give it a try.

But i can be certain you wil find some fantastic food in Alvor,without looking to hard.

Enjoy

Andy.

belfast
Level Contributor
145 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Alvor Restaurants

The Irish bars are expensive and full of golfers!! not my sort of thing

try the little restaruart top of hill beside market - it only sells fish and chicken piri piri it the

best in town - very cheap but deffinatly worth a try - you will return i promise you

Ruccuala is nice but alwy prefer more authentic portugese restaurants

the village is about 10 minute walk from pestana dom joao ll but you will love it

Doncaster
Level Contributor
461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Alvor Restaurants

Hi newvisitor, we will be in alvor in may for our first visit, we can't wait either!

Dublin
Level Contributor
956 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Alvor Restaurants

hi kris, where are you staying?

Get answers to your questions about Alvor
Recent Conversations