We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alvor has Soul

Sheffield
Level Contributor
143 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Alvor has Soul

Ok, don’t really know where to start with this one. We’ve visited Alvor every year for the last 6 years and we absolutely adore the place. We had decided that while ever we were in the fortunate position to have two holidays a year we should remain open-minded and try other places so we’ve just returned from a week in Fuerteventura.

I don’t think it would be appropriate to name the resort because everyone is entitled to their opinion and I’m sure some people will love it. However, I’ve never been to such a soulless and desolate place in all my years. The rise of all-inclusive has killed the area, and the few remaining bars and restaurants offered poor quality products and services and could not maintain regular opening hours. What little live entertainment we could find was really low-rent.

It’s made us realise that we should treasure Alvor and it’s natural beauty, fantastic restaurants, bars, live music and the effort that the people and businesses of Alvor put into making it so special. We’re back again in 10 weeks ….. can’t wait!

Mentioned in this post
Fuerteventura
Fuerteventura
Canary Islands, Spain
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alvor has Soul

We went to Lanzarore in 1999 for our 20th wedding anniversary and didn't really like it. We went to Alvor that summer with our children and loved it so much that we went back another 5 times before eventually buying an apartment there in 2007. So I know exactly where you're coming from.

Paul

Erskine
Level Contributor
120 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alvor has Soul

I LOVE Alvor so much, would love to buy apartment as we have been twice each year for last 3 years, just back and want to book for Oct! How often to you get out there each year having the apt?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
857 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alvor has Soul

Will be able to give my opinion in 9 weeks when we return.

We are off in 7 weeks for our 1st visit to Alvor and Portugal.

We are veterans of Lanzarote with 20+ visits under our belt so will be able to give my views in comparison.

Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alvor has Soul

Shasbo, I bought the apartment in July 2007 and next month will be my 26th visit since buying it. So that averages out at just over 4 times a year. My plan is to spend a significant part of the winter there when I retire in a few years time.

Tired-out-dad, I'd be very interested in your views on the relative merits of the two locations. You obviously love Lanzarote (having gone there so often), so it will be interesting to see if Alvor can win you over.

Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
857 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alvor has Soul

Will post report when we return.

We are really looking forward to our hol, sounds like it could be our type of place after reading lots of the posts on TA.

E tickets have arrived today so countdown has begun!

Oldham, United...
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alvor has Soul

Where are you staying tired-out-dad?? Get the countdown clock started....

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
857 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alvor has Soul

We are saying at Club Alvorferias.

Have read mixed reviews on the place but to me it's only a place to sleep so should be more than adequate!

Chesterfield...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Alvor has Soul

dont worry about alvorferias its fine, the apartments are spacious and are clean and tidy.the staff are friendly as well.me and my better half have stayed there the last 3 years. you will not be dissapointed.

lisburn
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alvor has Soul

been regular to canary islands a few times going back in jan. only reason is for the sun at that time of the year.alvor and albufeira is just our perfect locations.roll on sept17th

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
857 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alvor has Soul

It's good to hear positive things about apartments.

Has anyone any recommendations for places we should visit, bars restaurants etc. We like the more authentic stuff, not really into the English or Irish type of places, if wanted places like these we would holiday at home more often!

Get answers to your questions about Alvor
Recent Conversations