We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten free food/ restaurants....

blackburn
3 posts
Save Topic
Gluten free food/ restaurants....

will be travelling to Alvor on the 26th of july for two weeks. our 11 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with ceoliac disease, - she has to eat gluten-free food now, which is going to be a bit of a problem,

does anyone know of, or can recommend any restaurants or eateries that will provide gluten-free meals, in Alvor?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten free food/ restaurants....

Hi Welderman,

Sorry not to write the name of a few restaurants, but our suggestions goes to the main food that your daughter can eat and what she must avoid has food. Restaurants changes a little bit the dishes during the week and must of them will speak english for sure.

Always ask for something specific for you daugher, please have a list of what she can eat and present it to the people at the restaurant. I hope that this help you. All the best, have a nice stay in Portugal.

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten free food/ restaurants....

take some travel cards to hand to the chef or waiter that explains in Portuguese your daughters condition,so they can prepare food accordingly, they are printable on line from coeliac web sites

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten free food/ restaurants....

Here's a link for the card: http://www.celiactravel.com/cards/portuguese

Whereas shopping is concerned, there are two supermarkets which carry a fair amount of gluten free products.

Continente/Modelo

Pingo Doce

Restaurant Picolo Mondo does gluten free pastas.

Edited: 15 July 2013, 20:34
blackburn
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten free food/ restaurants....

thanks for all the help, and advice. I really appreciate it, regarding the cards, I will be printing a few of these off to take with us. Really looking forward to visiting Alvor and Portugal, for the first time.

thanks for the tips, and I`ll look out for the supermarkets mentioned, and I`ll try to find them on google maps. we are in a hotel with breakfast only, but will be eating out mainly, though getting some `snack` type food in also, as our hotels rooms all have cooking facilities and fridge etc, staying at the Alvor Village Hotel.

regards.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
387 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten free food/ restaurants....

Your hotel is very close to Pingo Doce supermarket.

Alvor, Faro...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gluten free food/ restaurants....

Hi, there are a couple of italian restaurants that do gluten free pasta and pizza. D'alvinos pizzeria and Piccolo Mondos definitely do!

Hope you enjoy your holiday!!

blackburn
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gluten free food/ restaurants....

thank you very much, can`t wait to get there :) appreciate the help.

8. Re: Gluten free food/ restaurants....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Alvor
Recent Conversations