We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A caution - not a question

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
A caution - not a question

Returned from Alvor last Tuesday after a 12 day holiday with my daughter. Unfortunately the holiday was marred when we were attacked by a car thief and I had my handbag stolen. This was at approx 10.30 pm on a Sunday evening on the main road through Alvor. Luckily we were not harmed just badly shaken and I was bruised as the man pushed me out of his car when I wouldn't let go of my bag. We have been travelling to Portugal for over 12 years and I have always felt safe walking about at all times but I will be very wary for the future. I don't want to scare you ladies on your own, just to make you aware and to take care. When I reported the incident to the Portimao Police they showed me 2 mug shots of suspects so they know it is occurring.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A caution - not a question

A car thief?

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,748 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A caution - not a question

Flossie, Sorry to hear about what happened especially in Alvor, But can I ask why were you in his car ? Sorry but your post seems to suggest that you were.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 23:45
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A caution - not a question

From the way I read the warning, it looks like someone grabbed the bag off the shoulder as he was driving past. Heard of this before - NOT in Alvor though. Opportunistic crime. If this is the case, normal common sense rules apply. Keep your bag on the inside away from the roadside, spread your valuables into different pockets etc, keep aware of your surroundings etc.

Don't struggle - make sure anything you are carrying can be replaced by insurance. It is not worth a broken arm, dislocated shoulder or being dragged under a car wheel for the sake of a few quid. Better that you take the chance to get the license plate and report it if possible - easy to say of course when it hasn't actually happened to you.

Sorry to hear what happened and I hope they catch the b****** who did it.

Keep vigilant everyone.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,748 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A caution - not a question

Ale, yes I think that must have been the case, Apologies to Flossie, I did read it a few times and after my reply realised that the lady was probably dragged partially into the car, not a nice thing to have happened I am sure. It's good that she is warning people.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A caution - not a question

I think it was Flossie describing her attacker as a car thief that caused the misunderstanding.

Edited: 03 June 2014, 11:41
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A caution - not a question

We were walking facing oncoming traffic and I had my bag securely over my left shoulder away from the road, nothing really I could have done except as you say just don't put up a fight. In future we will share possessions but when you are a lady wearing a summer dress and a shrug, not many places to put stuff! More bothered about my apartment keys , lucky where we were staying this time had a reception but we usually stay in private gated condos, just don't know what we would have done then. Anyway it is behind us now and I won't let them put me off returning, I just wanted to make people aware so it doesn't happen to them.

Portsmouth, UK
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
485 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A caution - not a question

Really sorry to hear about your misfortune Flossie. I hope someone manages to get the bugger soon before he spoils other's holidays.

Thanks for the warning I'll certainly be a bit more alert in future.

Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A caution - not a question

Thanks for the warning. We shall be more careful in future.

Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A caution - not a question

Thanks for the warning. We will be more careful where we go and walk in Alvor.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A caution - not a question

Sorry to hear about what happened to you Flossie. Where were you when it happened? Was it near the Alvor roundabout and, if so, were you out towards Pingo Doce or towards Club Alvorferias?

Get answers to your questions about Alvor
Recent Conversations