We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health Clinic in Alvor

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Health Clinic in Alvor

This will be our 3rd visit to Alvor and II have noticed on the free map of Alvor there is a health clinic on Rua Antonio Jose de Almeria. Does anyone know if there is a Doctor in attendance and do they accept the EHIC. I know there is a fantastic hospital in Portomåo but they don't take EHIC. It is more for piece of mind than anything else, my husband had a heart attack in April so just on a fact finding mission, before our holiday in September. If possible does any one know the telephone number there. Thank you.

Oldham, United...
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health Clinic in Alvor

I know you may have already done so, so please forgive me, but please do make sure you tell your holiday insurance about your husband's condition before you go.

We've never had call to use the medical services in Alvor so can't answer your question in that regard.

In addition to the Portimao hospital, there's the private hospital near the Clube Alvorferias in Alvor.

Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Health Clinic in Alvor

There is a private bupa hospital in alvor, they are brilliant as long as u have holiday insurance, they are all English speaking and more efficient than our hospitals, my husband has been there twice.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,830 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Health Clinic in Alvor

Check EHIC status BEFORE you go to the private clincs and hospitals. Some insist you pay and get the money back when get home. Additional holiday insurance may cover you but not if you don't have the policy details with you.

EHIC doesn't even guarantee free treatment in state facilities here. Even residents have to pay for some things that are free in the UK.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Health Clinic in Alvor

Thanks for that, so it is alright to use this private hospital as long as you can show them your Travel insurance and then you can claim it back. Do you claim it back on your EHIC card or Insurance? We have never have to go through this before. Hopefully we won't have to, but I like to have all the facts straight before we go.

Bolton
Level Contributor
411 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Health Clinic in Alvor

Is your insurance company fully aware of the facts re your husbands heart attack. If they aren't you may well find your insurance is invalid.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Health Clinic in Alvor

Yes we have told our travel insurance.

Lymm, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
285 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Health Clinic in Alvor

My husband has had to use the Hospital Particular in Alvor twice and on the second occasion he was admitted for 9 days. I have to admit the treatment he received was wonderful and our insurance M & S took care of all the costs payable directly to the hospital, I just had to claim for the medication and other costs once we returned home. The insurance although bought via M & S was AXA and each day they rang to get an update on my husbands health and also asked if I was ok. We were even able to claim back the number of days holiday he lost and additional money for him being in hospital for the 9 days. I cannot praise them enough and it is not until you have to make a claim that you find out how good the insurance you have bought really is. They sent for my husbands health records from our GP surgery and once they had all the information were able to confirm that he was fully covered as I had told them about all his illnesses at the time of taking out the cover.

I also had to use my EHIC card due to a fall on the same holiday and the treatment I received was good, and far better than the UK, but still had to pay out for the treatment, ambulance, dressing changes etc, totalling approximately €25 so not worth claiming back on the insurance due to the £100 excess.

8. Re: Health Clinic in Alvor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Alvor
Recent Conversations