We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Might need a dentist !

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Might need a dentist !

We are travelling to Alvor next week and I have been having problems with my teeth and been back and forwards to my dentist, I am getting pain on and off but my dentist has said until it localises ( can't tell which of two teeth is causing the problem) she can not do anything !

It will need a root filling or extraction. I am now dreading that whilst on holiday things will flare up andI I will need to find a dentist quick, can anyone recommend a dentist that would deal with an emergency appointment if needed

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Might need a dentist !

Here's a website: http://www.clinicalvor.pt/

Hope you won't need it and wishing you a nice holiday!

Oldham, United...
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Might need a dentist !

A root filling can quite often be two appointments with a space of a week or so in between - I know both myself and Mr jocrad have both had these donw in this way - so if it's needed it's quite possibly not going to be a job for your hols.

london
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Might need a dentist !

i think what orgar is saying that if it happens on holiday she knows where to go in an emergency as opposed to planning on having it done on holiday . I remember when i had mine the pain was unbelievable and just needed to get in somewhere fast !

Oldham, United...
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Might need a dentist !

I see your point Fawlboy. Unfortunately if a root filling is needed, it's needed, they can probably alleviate the pain somewhat temporarily, but no going back! Mine was dreadful...

Scotland
Level Contributor
264 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Might need a dentist !

Orgar, ask your dentist to give you some antibiotics to take with you on holiday. If your infected root canal does flare up you can take them. A visit to the dentist wouldn't be covered by your holiday insurance as it is a pre-existing condition. Last year I had root canal treatment before going to Alvor and my dentist gave me antibiotics to take - if and when needed. Luckily I didn't need them.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Might need a dentist !

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment I don't want my tooth to get worse but until it does and I know which one is the problem just have to wait and see !, going on Thursday so that would be pushing it to get anything done now what with the Bank holiday as well, if it plays up on holiday I won't be after a Root filling just have the damn thing pulled out. There is no infection at the moment, but aware it could flare up,so doubt Dentist would give me antibiotics. Not worried about the cost hubby's credit card would have to suffer that just about being able to get treatment if in pain. Thanks for the replies

7. Re: Might need a dentist !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Alvor
Recent Conversations