We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Language

Swansea UK
Level Contributor
273 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Language

Having done Spanish/canaries holidays previously my kids have picked up the gracias? Ola? I have just googled and noticed the language is different from what they know.

My daughter has tried to learn a few words, basic please, thank you etc.

Can anyone help us with the soundings of them please?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Language

If you use Google Translate you can type in the words and click on the little microphone to hear a native voice.

Have a nice holiday!

Swansea UK
Level Contributor
273 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Language

Ooh fantastic thank you. Will have some fun with that in the next couple of days before we go :)

Brooklyn, NY, USA...
Level Contributor
184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Language

"I have just googled and noticed the language is different from what they know."

That would be because your kids know Spanish. In Portugal, they speak Portuguese. Also, it wouldn't hurt you to learn some of the language as well. You can help refute the stereotype of the Brit who shouts louder in English to make herself understood abroad.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
894 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Language

When we become as loud as the yanks, then it's time to worry.

Swansea UK
Level Contributor
273 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Language

Brooklynnellie did u not see the comment where my daughter wants to learn some of the language.

She did this before our Spanish holidays and our French, for a 8-9-10 yr old I think this is good going. So yes we are learning some of their language before we go.

Plus we don't do the slow loud talking to people, that's just patronising.

Skimybear shame I can't like your post!

Edited: 21 August 2014, 08:45
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Language

I applaude your kids wanting to learn different languages. Given their age it should be fairly easy and it's nice you are encouraging them. It's part of the travel experience, although you will notice that a lot of English is spoken in Alvor.

Oldham, United...
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Language

Beth, rise above it, great that your kids want to integrate themselves when you go on hols. It's amazing how just a few words of the local language go a long way.

Europe
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Language

Have to agree with jocrad - it's really useful to speak a few words - the Portuguese kids all learn English in school - shame it doesn't start earlier with out kids!

Various options on line - I find Portuguese is a difficult language to speak but well worth the effort of, at least, a few words. Certainly good to speak the basics, hello, thank you, excuse me, 2 beers (perhaps not for the kids), etc!

Swansea UK
Level Contributor
273 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Language

Lol husband will need to know the 2 beers ones.

Our kids know both English and welsh and are pretty lucky they pick up the very basics of other languages pretty easy.

I do think it's good to learn other peoples languages too. Only problem is my 6 yr old lad things it's ok to say bonjour to people here in swansea :/ lol

Looking forward to this holiday loads now. Only 2 more working shifts for me to go!

Oldham, United...
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Language

He's not called Del is he by any chance Beth?!?! Good on him though.