We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Alvor for us?

Which Alvor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
91 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Is Alvor for us?

We are a family of 4 (children 6 and 10). Have never been to Portugal but would like to give it a try next Summer. Would prob book apartment/villa directly. We don't have a clue about the different resorts. Looking for somewhere quite quiet, traditional (quaint streets, old buildings, picturesque) must have a beach and lots of nice restaurants, bars etc. Don't need English grub/pubs etc. Also would like to be able to go out on boat trips and maybe do some snorkelling. Does it sound like Alvor could be the place for us? Thanks.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
330 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Alvor for us?

I think that in your question you have described Alvor.On the basis of what you are looking for i would have no hesitation in saying "go for it".

Gloucester, UK
Level Contributor
189 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Alvor for us?

Julie, you've just described Alvor!! We went for the first time this year with our 7-year old, and it won't be the last time. Beach wouldn't look out of place in the Caribbean, but the sea can be cold early season. Guess you'd be looking to go in school hols anyway.

Restaurants galore, cobbled streets, beautiful harbour area to sit and watch the world go by. No trashy bars or nightclubs, just a perfect family destination!!

You'll regret not going: 0)

london
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Alvor for us?

Been going for several years . Our boy is now 9 and he still ioves it . Its very much a couples and family type place with no nightclubs. Go and enjoy yourself !

Heathfield, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Alvor for us?

We've just got back from our second trip, with our ten year old. Absolute perfection. I truly think you will be happy with Alvor. Warm, friendly, no nightclubs, but just the right side of "lively." Fantastic beaches. When I was looking around in January for places to go I thought why not just come back to Alvor, it had everything, as a family we were looking for. Waterparks within a short distance, lovely restaurants, great beach. You can get round Alvor on foot if you don't want to hire a car (we don't bother with a car). Go for it.

glasgow
Level Contributor
112 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Alvor for us?

Sounds good for us as well (2 adults and an 8 year old). We have spent last two years in Vila Sol in Vilamoura but are keen for a change of scenery. Can anyone recommend a good 2 bedroom apartment ideally with good onsite facilities i.e. pools, bar, restaurant and not too far out from the town centre???

Sunderland
Level Contributor
941 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Alvor for us?

Colandjo - Have a look at Vila da Praia on websites like www.homeaway.co.uk , www.ownersdirect.co.uk and www.holidaylettings.co.uk .

They're all private rentals but are top quality in a secure, gated complex with an excellent pool. We stayed in a cracking 2-bed last August - it was ground floor and looked straight onto the pool, beutifully furnished and equipped with a proper, fully-fitted kitchen, full-sized fridge, washing machine etc. There was five of us and to be honest you could have fitted another two in there without it becoming remotely cramped. It's on the homeaway website - property number 492273.

In previous years we've stayed there in 1-beds (usually only me, my wife and teenage son - last year my wife's sister and her husband were with us so need a bigger place) and they're more than adequate for a familly of three.

There's no bar or restaurant facilities on-site but they're two minutes from the Dunas do Alvor complex which has two internal courtyards open to the public containing several bars and snack bar/restaurants, at least two of which serve large beers for only €1 - snacks are good too.

Vila da Praia is literally 5 minutes walk from the huge beach at Alvor and only 5-10 minutes from the resort centre. Despite it's proximity to everything it's still very quiet and peaceful at night.

Definitely one of the best places we've ever stayed in.

Edited: 01 September 2014, 14:38
london
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Alvor for us?

Would agree with el n hils about vila da praia . Great location and very good quality apartments . We are family of 3 and always found the 1 beds to be big enough . Be careful though as some people advertise studio conversions as 1 beds and they are not as big . To be honest we have always liked the fact there is no on site bars etc and has been said you are just across the road from plenty of facilities .

london
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Alvor for us?

colandjoi have sent you a PM

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Alvor for us?

In addition to the websites listed above, there are a number of apartments in Alvor listed on www.alvorowners.com

glasgow
Level Contributor
112 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Alvor for us?

Thanks for all the replies, we would however be looking for a 2 bed apartment as my mother in law also comes with us each year. The on site facilities are quite a big thing for us as we really liked what the Vila Sol had to offer over the last two years. I also think with nothing on site it just gets too quiet!

Get answers to your questions about Alvor
Recent Conversations