We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gaucin questions

Which Gaucin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York Mills, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Gaucin questions

Hello - I am considering going to Gaucin in late August with my husband and daughters (ages 5 and 6). The homes we are looking at do not have air conditioning -- will we be miserable without it?

Also, I've heard a few people say that there are always dogs barking at night -- odd, I know -- but is this actually something to consider?

We looked at staying in Marbella, but opted to go inland -- Marbella and Puerto Banus seem a little too built up and glitzy for us. We'd rather have a nice view and some room to spread out.

Thanks for any tips.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gaucin questions

Hi Jennifer

I stopped in Gaucín last October on my way back to Olvera from visiting a friend in Estepona. It is a very pretty small town with beautiful outlooks in every direction. I don't have air conditioning in Olvera which is much further inland and hotter, only a tower fan in each bedroom and we manage fine. I must say though, I am quite a cold person and relish my time in Spain which is split between July and October.

Obviously I can't comment about dogs barking during the night, however, many of my Spanish neighbours have dogs and they don't bark during the night. It is a neighbouring rooster that I would like to get my hands on some mornings but even he, I seem to be able to tune out after a few nights.

I understand what you mean about Marbella and Puerto Banús being not for you. I only go down to the Costa del Sol to visit my friend. When we want some beach time we spend it in Chiclana de la Frontera which is a little south of Cádiz city on the Atlantic coast.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gaucin questions

Having stayed in other villages in the area (but not Guacin) during the same time of year without air-con my guess is you should be ok. Also adding the fact that Gaucin is located high on a mountain ridge you should benefit from cooler nights. It is a really nice village, larger others in the area, but with a decent selection of local bars and restaurants. A small amount of Spanish will help, simple hello, thank you, menu please and so on. It is a traditional Andalucian village so nothing like Marbella or Puerto Banus etc on the coast.

Just for clarity can I check that you are planning to stay at Gaucin village on the A-369 road and not Gaucin railway station as it is (erroneously) called? Reason being Gaucin station is some 2000 feet or more lower down the mountain in the very bottom of the valley and while it is a very nice little place, is much smaller and at a lower altitude.

scotland
Level Contributor
59 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gaucin questions

Hi we were in Gaucin in April and are going back in August with a 3, 9 and 15 year old. We have been holidaying in Gaucin for many years and most properties do not have air con but have fans - even if you need an extra one its not a problem there is is a small electrical shop in the centre of the village that cells fans at a very reasonable and inexpensive price, I have usual found if you are booking a villa direct you can request or they can tell you how much it would be for extra - but its not a problem - go for a property if you can with a plunge pool - there is also a local baths. Its the best holiday in the world for a young family - eating out and shopping is so reasonable. Enjoy

scotland
Level Contributor
59 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gaucin questions

Sorry forgot to say there is dog barking if you are at the edge of the village it is a way of life at night but not disturbing just a different noise to get used to. We were in the centre in April and had a cockerel which took a little sleep adjustment but when home my daughter missed and asked for the cockerel. Its worth it wait till you see the views there breath taking - and meet the people - don't pack much take hand luggage if you can you just need shorts and pool gear its very relaxed - there is a small shop that you can get hats, t shirts etc and a market every second Saturday. Its a family kick back holiday - we painted in April with the kids and swam - the things we don't get the time we would like at home - its a chilled time

New York Mills, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gaucin questions

Thanks a lot -- this is really helpful!!

6. Re: Gaucin questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2016, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Gaucin
Recent Conversations