We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go!?

9 posts
Save Topic
Where to go!?

We are a young couple looking to go to one of these three places: Costa Adeje, Santa Eulalia or Vilamoura for one week at the beginning of August.

We'd like a chilled holiday by day, with a nice hustle n bustle by night - bars, restaurants, but not clubby. We are hoping for all inclusive but would obviously like to go out for a few meals as well. We are open to other board types if the price is right obviously.

If anyone could shed some light on any of the destinations and any personal preferences/advice on: beaches, things to do, costs/quality of eating out and bars, it would be very much appreciated.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go!?

We have been to Santa Eulalia 3 times in summer - lovely town, plenty of good restaurants and bars, marina and beaches are fine too. Not at all clubby - very laid back /chill out. Some SE bars are featured on this video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4XHEJhgQjk

We stayed next to Vilamoura in August - it is concentrated around the marina with plenty of bars and restaurants of all types. Very lively in the evening. There didn't seem much else apart from golf, in the immediate area. Beaches close by were lovely, but its the Atlantic rather than the Med.

Have not stayed in Costa Adeje, but Los Cristianos, the other side of PDA, and in winter, not summer. Beaches in Tenerife generally are not as good, often black volcanic sand. We enjoyed Tenerife, but had the impression that Adeje, was the quieter, more upmarket area [we went through on Segways]. Lots to see and do on the island.

I would return to any of them, so whichever you choose - you won't be disappointed.

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,319 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go!?

If you chose Ibiza as a young couple would not stay in Sana Eualia, is the family resort of Ibiza. I would look at places like talamanca bay where hotels cater for young couples you have the night life of Ibiza Town a short walk or ferry ride away.

Another option would be San Antonio bay again many hotels geared to your age group and you could enjoy the wonderful sunsets on your doorstep.

Hotel Garbi is geared to 25/45 year old couples in the center of Playa den Bossa, situated on the golden beach of this resort (santa Eulaia only has a small man made beach), your a 15 minute walk to Bora Bora the famous beach bar for your age group, you can view from the beach without joining in. IN season buses run 24/7 from outside the hotel door.

Romford, Essex
Level Contributor
147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go!?

Spent a week in Santa Eulalia last September, it was a very pretty resort, but I would try and stay half way between Santa Eulalia and ES Cana like we did and you can enjoy the best of both resorts, as there not that far apart, and give you the option each night, Santa Eulalia is more restaurants where Es cana was a mix of lively bars and restaurants both resorts have some nice AI, we did stay self catering though, If you visit Ibiza ( which is a gorgeous island ) you much take a trip to San Antonio and visit Sunset strip! Lovely atmosphere or even go to San Antonio Bay and enjoy the sunset but in a quiet resort with still a good buzz!

Vilamoura was lovely & had some gorgeous AI hotels, quite an upmarket area & full of golfers but only spent a day here, we stayed about half hour away in Alberferia which I recommended. very lively resort, and can make use of the quieter old town and enjoy the bars and clubs of the new town!

Can't comment on Costa Adeje, as haven't been but I know people who have and they enjoyed!!!

Lancashire
Level Contributor
182 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go!?

We have our first visit to Santa Eulalia this summer, but we have visited both Vilamoura and Costa Adeje. We liked Vilamoura - we were staying a few miles away near Almancil - eating out on the Algarve is brilliant if you have a car - there are some very cheap barbeque chicken restaurants where you will get half a chicken, piri piri sauce and chips for just a few Euros and restaurants at every level up to Michelin star level. Vilamoura is a modern purpose built resort, large marina, lots of bars and restaurants - it reminded us of an American resort with wide roads, golf courses - a little impersonal. The beach is very good - soft sand and as it is on the Atlantic you get a good swell if the wind is in the right direction - which can be good or bad depending on what you want from a beach. We found the town a bit uninteresting away from the beach and marina.

Costa Adeje on the other hand is very commercial - some very good hotels and loads of restaurants at all price levels - all you can eat Chinese buffets for a few Euros, US Diners, Indian, Italian, - you name it. you can eat it - there is even the odd Spanish restaurant but you have to search them out. There is a good strip of bars and restaurants at Fanabe beach with all sorts of free entertainment - singers and Karaoke. Do not be put off by the black sand - you soon get used to it. To me the big benefit to Adeje is a couple of miles inland - Mount Teide. It is astounding to have a trip a few miles inland and climb (by car or bus) the highest mountain in Spain, and when you get up to the plateau at the top you are faced with a truly alien landscape formed by molten lava in all colours. If you manage to go on the cable car and watch Gran Canaria appear over the edge of the caldera as the car gets higher is an unforgettable sight. The downside to Adeje is it is VERY artificial,you could be in any country and there are a lot of timeshare touts and looky looky men that you have to bat away every time you go out of your hotel. The Canaries can also be very windy.

From what I have read and heard about SE, I expect the bars and entertainment to be a little more sophisticated than Adeje and more Spanish in atmosphere - I hope we are not disappointed.

Edited: 25 February 2014, 21:23
5. Re: Where to go!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Santa Eulalia del Rio
Recent Conversations