We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DIY drive around Minorca

Which Mahon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
161 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
DIY drive around Minorca

arrive Mahon via cruiseship. in port only about 6 hrs. plan is to rent a car from port and drive around the island. not much time, undersood, but please advise if you think this is do-able and worthwhile, route we should take, and not-to-miss sights/stops along the way. appreciate your feedback. thank you.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,242 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DIY drive around Minorca

WHEN are you wanting to do this? You are unlikely to find anywhere offering this on the quayside but you just might be able to sort something with a small local firm in advance if you are not going in high season. There was a thread a couple of years ago from an American doing much the same thing as you describe who said that a small local firm Poppy Cars (http://poppycars.com/ ) arranged a very satisfactory arrangement for them but sadly you can no longer see that thread as it got hijacked by someone posting potentially libelous comments and was taken dowen by TA.

One of our Destination Experts (Raff) may be able to suggest something to you ( send her a private message if she doesn't come onto the forum soon). Off the top of my head an alternative might be to find a private guide/taxi with guide ( you could try contacting the Mahon Tourist info office www.illesbalears.es/ing/contact/contact.jsp and see what they can suggest) and you never know, if you find other passengers on the ship who fancy sharing the cost. As you have only got 6 hours, doing that might be a very satisfactory answer as there would be no delays in sorting out the car hire paperwork etc.- you would just be met as you disembark, taken around and delivered back ready to go back on the boat!

Level Contributor
161 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DIY drive around Minorca

will be there early september. already arranged car rental w/binicars, as recommended by tripadvisor posters.

island is not very big, as I understand it...how long to simply drive around entire island, folllowing 'main route' - assuming there is one... making couple-few stops? OR, could head to a specific place/beach, as anyone might recommend...this is info. I am looking for.

thank you for your reply.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,242 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DIY drive around Minorca

You cannot drive around the island as such - the main ME1 road runs straight across from Mahon in the east to Cuitadella in the west with all the other routes coming off of it herringbone fashion. Most of the towns are on the ME1 and the drive from Mahon to Cuitadella takes about 45 mins.

Fornells in the North East is very pretty ( http://www.mymenorca.info/fornells/) - it is an old fishing village now very popular with the boating fraternity and spanish visitors and you have to try and see one or two of the amazing beaches ( although not all are accessible by car and you won't have time for long walks!) but probably the best thing at this stage is to go to the main island forum page, look at the Top Question on information websites and from those slowly research places that look interesting to you and you can then use the interactive route planner (also shown in a Top Question link) to check out the distances between the places you like the look of and see which are possible and which would take too long. For example, Monte Toro (the highest point on the island which has a monastery on the top reached by a winding road up from nearby Es Mercadal ) is just off of the main ME1 road - you could combine that with a visit to Cuitadella on the west coast ( see http://www.mymenorca.info/ciutadella/#overview) which is the old capital and has a lot of moorish architecture and a lovely little harbour lined with restaurants) or Cala Galdana ( http://www.mymenorca.info/cala-galdana/) a resort with a beautiful horseshoe shaped bay on the south

Sadly 6 hours ( less paperwork time for sorting out the car) isn't enough to do the island justice but I am sure you will enjoy what you do manage to see.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: DIY drive around Minorca

We've advised on this before I think...., My advise then, and still is now, The following:

Morning coffee and a bit of a mooch around the shops in Mahon first.

Lunch in Fornells

A trip up Toro for the views on the way to...

Santo T / Son Bou or C'n'Porter for an hour of beach time.

That would be the most you could fit in 6 hours, in practice a good lunch in Fornells might take up 3 of them giving you just enough time to visit Toro on your way back.

With such a short time frame I'd advise to go no further west than Es Mercadal. Sure you'l enjoy what you see.

JtheD

Level Contributor
161 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DIY drive around Minorca

appreciate the feedback. will read through possibilities and decide what makes sense...from what I've read so far, with all that Minorca offers, will be an enjoyable day, whatever we do/wherever we go! thank you for your helpful replies, advice, suggestions, etc.

manchester
Level Contributor
586 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DIY drive around Minorca

On a simular thread is it posible to hire a car with a driver for the day lets say from 10 till 5 is this a can do, thanks, there will be four of us.

Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Minorca
Level Contributor
628 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DIY drive around Minorca

mancsteve60 there is a company called NURABUS that will drive you around for the day, not sure on prices, here´s the website http://www.menorcabus.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,745 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: DIY drive around Minorca

agree with jon the dog- do not attemp too much Menorca is about relaxation not hectic :-)

manchester
Level Contributor
586 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DIY drive around Minorca

thank you once again Raff, will check out menorcabus.

and sandstroller thanks sound advice.

the reason i was looking at this possibilty is i do not want to drive, i will be useing the local buses to the major areas such as cuitadella/mao but believe there are some spots that would be difficult to get to on the public transport, hense the question, one place i would dearly like to visit is what JTD commented on fornells.

thanks for your help

regards steve.

10. Re: DIY drive around Minorca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 19:15
Get answers to your questions about Mahon