We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving in Minorca

Which Mahon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tallahassee, FL
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
driving in Minorca

Is there an age limit? I am over 70 & have a USA driver's license.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving in Minorca

Are you planning to hire a car? some car rental companies will not hire to over 65s and some up to 70. I think you would need to check with the car rental company. i do not know how the rules are applied to non EU licence holders indeed there is little clarity for Spanish licence holders either except that they have to renew every 2 years and take psycho/physical tests! Sorry I can't give a more definitive answer on this.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,155 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving in Minorca

Please also determine whether you will need an International Drivers' Licence as well as your USA licence.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driving in Minorca

I second that info. above - Tough, but I think its is no hire for over 70's ( that said the little companies are often 'flexible' )

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving in Minorca

Taken from travel republic website

AGE RESTRICTIONS AND LICENCE REQUIREMENTS

Minimum drivers age to hire car 21 max 75

Drivers must have a full national driving licence for at least 1 year

International licences are accepted. Passport or id card must be shown for id.

Endorsements are accepted.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: driving in Minorca

I personally would be very careful with generic statements from Travel republic- my knowledge is based on actual information from the local hire companies as my Dad and Mum( regular islander visitors ) hit those limits a while back - I had to be the driver :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving in Minorca

My father has traveled to menorca for the last five years staying with friends in Ferreries and has alway booked his car hire through Travel republic.(Hyper cars)

He is 73 now and and says he has never had a problem.

I am stopping in son bou next week for a few days and will ask the local car hire company's about thier age limits.

I will let you know what they say

Tallahassee, FL
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving in Minorca

Many thanks to all of you! We will be arriving in Minorca the evening of Oct 9th. My sister & her husband are under 65 so they can be our DD's if necessary. Raelly looking forward to it!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving in Minorca

I am piggy backing on my sister-in-law's initial inquiry to ask if in addition to any car rental restrictions that may exist for seniors like ourselves if in fact finding a car with automatic transmission is really as limited as all the car rental companies show on their web sites or if knowing how to drive a manual is the only, or just about the only option we may have in Mahon.

9. Re: driving in Minorca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Mahon
Recent Conversations