We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Mahon by car - where to head for?

aberdeen
Level Contributor
418 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
visiting Mahon by car - where to head for?

Only a few weeks to go now for my 1st visit to Menorca, can't wait!

My mum and I are staying in Cala N Porter and have a car for the duration. We would like to visit Mahon for sightseeing and I am hoping someone can advise on where to head for (causing the least amount of stress!) to park for perhaps a few hours to 6 hours max.

We are both fit to walk so that's not a problem and I wondered how much we should expect to pay and are the roads easy to navigate? 1st time in hire car also!

Any advice is appreciated.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Mahon by car - where to head for?

The old advice was to always park up by the port for free, tho I think there may now be a time restriction , sure others will advise.

If you want stress free then do what we do and head for the underground parking at placa esplanada.

JtheD

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Mahon by car - where to head for?

Head for large free car park off Calle Sant Manuel following blue P sign. Then exit at bottom of car park walkway to Calle D'es Castell turning left you come out near market and Carrer Nou. Undergrounds expensive for 6 hrs.

Edited: 17 April 2014, 22:06
Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Mahon by car - where to head for?

Yeah pl esplanada maybe too much for extended stay. Never used it for more than 2 hrs. Easy tho.

JtheD

aberdeen
Level Contributor
418 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting Mahon by car - where to head for?

Great, thanks for the info. It makes life easier knowing where to head for and a free car park, even better!

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,851 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting Mahon by car - where to head for?

Another option from CNP is to take the bus into Mahon - it isn't a long journey from the resort ( see Top Question on buses for timetable links)

We only used underground parking in Mahon a couple of times - as Jon has said it works out expensive to stay all day and isn't necessary if you are prepared to walk a little from the outer areas where the parking is free. You just need to be sure that you have a good street map to take out of the car with you so you can find the shortest route back to it again on the way back! If you look at the satellite version of Google maps before setting off you should identify the location of sports grounds/parks etc where there should be parking nearby

Have a lovely holiday - there are lots of interesting things to see if you have a car and be sure to go up to Monte Toro to check out the views. I would say that Fornells village is a must ( check out the Top Question section on the Fornells forum page for recommendations of places to eat there) and if you pick up a freebie tourist info guide you will find lots of ideas of places to visit (everything from naploeonic fortresses to stone/bronze age settlements). Es Castell is not far from CNP ( again there is a free car park on outskirts) - it has interesting architecture and has lots of restaurants etc to try , As you are so close to San Luis check out Bodegas Binifadet - see tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g656875-… for a peaceful couple of hours - they do free winemaking tours all day and the vine covered terrace area outside the shop area is a lovely place to chill out with a glass of wine or a coffee and perhaps a light lunch afterwards

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting Mahon by car - where to head for?

Bodegas Binifadet is a lovely place to visit and the food is excellent but the kitchen does not open until June. Free winery tours are available year round. The wine is excellent although Binitord is also top quality and worth looking out for.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
418 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting Mahon by car - where to head for?

Thank you very much for the interesting tips. I will be sure to put them on my itinerary.

We think that Minorca is going to be perfect for us as on holiday as we are looking for some nice walks and scenery, a bit of sightseeing - I am not religious but I must admit always tend to be in awe of the lovely churches/cathedrals we have found ourselves in on different holidays and we like to wander round places that have not been changed too much for the tourist market.

On top of that is also a must to try the traditional food and soak up the atmoshphere just relaxing. Can't wait!!

8. Re: visiting Mahon by car - where to head for?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Mahon
Recent Conversations