We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Netherlands to San Sebastian

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Netherlands to San Sebastian

Hey guys i need some help with getting from the Netherlands or anywhere around it to San Sebastian (spain). I have no idea how to get there and the flights are pretty damn expensive and very long with layovers. I don't mind taking a bit longer but so far all i've found are flights over 200 pounds... it may come to hitch hiking. Has anyone done this route before? Any advice would be appreciated.

4 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Netherlands to San Sebastian

You have placed this question in San Sebastián de Garabandal in the Cantabria Region.

Do you really want to go there or you are interested in San Sebastián in the Basque Country, closer to the border with France?

Level Contributor
346 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Netherlands to San Sebastian

Have you looked at Rail options? Train from Amsterdam or Rotterdam to Paris (around 3 hrs), then onto Irun (around 6 hrs) and then regional transport bus/train onto San Sebastian?

If you 'google' for rail europe, you'll probably find they have the timetables and ability to purchase a ticket.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Netherlands to San Sebastian

I assume you may have a solution by now, but the last time I hitched through northern France into Spain it took 2-3 days solid, and that was with a girlfriend, many years ago, before motorists became paranoid about picking up hitchers. So I'd say hitching, while an experience would be very hard work.

Unless you've sorted out a train already, take a look at http://flightchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/ or similar cheap airline scanners and see if it's affordable using a budget airline like Easyjet, as two independently booked flights- for example the morning flight from Amsterdam to Stansted, then afternoon flight to Bilbao then a bus or train 60 miles along the coast. You could do that for less than £100 one way, but if you carry more than hand luggage (bigger bags are expensive) or want a more foolproof trip (Easyjet won't book through flights so if one leg's late or cancelled you're shafted) rail is probably a better idea -

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,315 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Netherlands to San Sebastian

The later you leave the booking the higher the price. You have not said when you want to go either. So it is very hard to make comment on what you are finding. But think about flying into another airport like Barcelona or Madrid and bus or train to SS.

Another alternative is by bus. http://www.eurolines.com/en/

However the trip is long and can be uncomfortable.

Reply to: Netherlands to San Sebastian
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Sebastian de...
More San Sebastian de Garabandal Topics