We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferris Review

Which Malgrat de Mar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kent
Level Contributor
65 posts
271 reviews
Save Topic
Ferris Review

We are a young family and during the last few years our holiday budget has got a lot tighter. We decided a few years ago to book with a coach company called Ferris coaches, as they had an offer in our local paper offering a 10 day holiday to Spain in August for about £700:00 half board it was allocation on arrival in The Costa Brava, we did pay an extra £60:00 for the Luxury coach and i think about £30:00 car parking at Dover as we live nearby the port. We arrived at Dover at about 12:30pm awaiting our 13:00pm pick up, unfortunately there was a major accident on the M25 so our coach did not arrive until about 14:00pm but this did not bother us, and at Dover we were told that we were going to Calella and staying at the Bon Repos Hotel. Once on the boat we had a good meal and we also packed sandwiches and drinks in a cool box for the coach trip as French service stations are quite expensive and they do not have too much too offer after 9pm. We left Calais at about 18:30pm french time and stopped very shortly about 1 hour after for the drivers to change over, we did have a quick 10 mins to stretch the legs and for those who wanted have a cigerette. We then i believe travelled down to Troyes for our main evening stop for about 45 mins this was enough time and arrived there at about 22:00pm. We had booked a platuim coach, which was extremly comfortable, there is always a hostess on board and throughout and they will offer hot/cold drinks at 70p, pot noodles, chocolate bars etc at very good prices, they also do a few games of Bingo and have a few movies playing on the DVD system. Our next stop was a quick refueling stop at about 3:00am in the morning, not too many people got off as most were asleep again for about 10 mins, just enough time for a quick stretch of the legs. Then after another few hours the coach stops to change drivers at a budget hotel. We then continue our journey down to spain and stop at either the French or Spanish side of the border depending on time. We arrived in our resort just after 10am, so the journey from Calais took about 17 hours. We were very impressed by the price, service of all Ferris people )Drivers, Stewardess and Rep in resort. The hotel was ok, the food not so good so we did eat out a few times. We have since been back to Spain with Ferris another 4 times since and have booked to go at Easter for £600 again 3 Adults and 1 Child and August £850:00, a price that cannot be beaten. We now book at either the Maripins or Papi in Malgrat as the food is very good and fresh and the prices excellent. One more good thing about travelling on the coach is that they do not weigh your bag and once your bag is on you next see your bag at the hotel. Another tip, bring a pillow for the coach journey it really helps.

goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferris Review

A good review of Ferris....I travelled with them myself last October stayed at the plamamar in Malgrat.

Similar type of service, only down point was not having a meal break in the evening......

I would recommend them....I was a solo traveller.

In Malgrat found a nice small pub called the Swan, run by a great guy from Edinburgh.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferris Review

been with ferris 14 times going again in september staying at the monteplaya great value and a great company would not go with anyone else

Kent
Level Contributor
56 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferris Review

HI Louisc17,

Your review has been very helpful as I am planning on booking a Ferris holiday this weekend. I will definitely be chooseing the platinum coach based on your review.

A couple of questions I would like help with if you can:

My daughter and I occassionally suffer with travel sickness. Do you feel like you're confined to a coach or is it fairly comfortable?

Would you say that Calella or Pineda are more suited to a 13 year old girl as I am in two minds? The Amaika reviews state that it is not a good hotel for teens but the Pineda palace says that the bars are more suited to dining rather than entertainment. I am as yet undecided as what to go with.

Did you feel that the issue with morning or evening washing was a problem for you?

Can you use the all inclusive option immediately from arrival at your hotel and after check out time?

Is the luggage allowance very stringent or would 500g over the 15kg mean you cannot take the luggage on?

Sorry to have soo many questions but I have found the call centre staff to be a little vague.

Thank you in advance for your help

southern england
Destination Expert
for Lloret de Mar, Calella
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferris Review

i don't suffe travel sickness so can't help too much on that except to say that the seats are comfortable with plenty leg room (on the platinum coach), they show dvds on the way down and back and stop every 4 hours.

re hotels; the amaika is htops best hotel and is situated right in the middle of the resort near everthing. calella certainly has more to do for anyone who wants to do more than lie at the poolside and chill.

re hotels and entertainment. most entertainment is in the hotels, with local bars having karaoke/disco/sport etc no bands or live music.

calella has a good few bars that welcome kids and are not purely eating places. the beach boys, papas bar and the white horse all spring to mind.

dont understand your comment on washing.

AI starts at 12.00 lunch time on day1 and finishes at the same time on leaving day. you will be able to drop your bags off at the hotel when you arrive and have time to go for a decent breakfast and a wander to get your bearings before you get into your room.

ferris are getting a bit stricter with luggage, but not to the extent that they weigh anything. the drivers can have a good guess at 15kg, but will not bother you for a bit over. they are more concerned about people taking the kitchen sink! last month someones case was 28kg and it still got put on the coach. don't worry about being a little over.

a couple of tips for you

take a small pillow or cushion as besides help you doze off it relieves the condition that has come to be known as "ferris bum"

in the morning qwhen they stop for breakfast you are only 1-2 hours from your hotel. unless you are absolutely starving it is better to wait until you get to the resort and have a decent breakfast.

more hints and tips can be found here

www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php…

and on some other threads on that forum.

Kent
Level Contributor
65 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferris Review

Hi I would back what jimd says,,Calella is much more suited for a 13 year old re things to do, we have a daughter of 12 and Papas bar in Calella is a good place to go in the evening Karoke etc. I also do not think the coach is bad for people that suffer with travel sickness they stop every 4 hours usually. The first time we went with Ferris we took a 3 year old and had no problems at all. We have never been all inclusive as we like to go out to different bars in the evening and i like my beer in glasses not plastic, pints of beer and glasses of wine usually 2 euros max in family bars. Ferris have never been strict on the 15kg allowance as long as you do not go way over the top i am sure that it will be fine. They will look after you and the prices cannot be beaten, just make sure that you do a tripadvisor review on the hotels beforehand, Malgrat del Mar/Santa Sussana is also a very good destination for teenagers, nice family bars.

Kent
Level Contributor
65 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferris Review

Hi another point to add as i see you are from Kent like us, the journey from Calais is usally 16 hours, not 24 hours.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferris Review

My dad has used them loads of times and he thinks they are great.

You can also book accommodation only if you'd rather fly than get the coach and the prices are still good

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferris Review

hi for the rest of this year ferris have cancelled all pick-ups from london nearest pick up is bexley

southern england
Destination Expert
for Lloret de Mar, Calella
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferris Review

with all the royal events, the olympics, paralympics it makes sense.

when i went last month those on the coach when i got on at dover were complaining that it took 2 hours to get through london.

Kent
Level Contributor
65 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferris Review

Bexley is an easy pick up, easy to get to and the holiday inn is a good place to wait.

Get answers to your questions about Malgrat de Mar
Recent Conversations