We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is there to do for a non skier?

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What is there to do for a non skier?

I am travelling up next week with a keen skier for a 4 night stay at The Highlander.

I plan to take the train into Inverness one day for a spa day and lunch/shopping but need some more suggestions to fill my days.

Any ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Highlander Hotel
Highlander Hotel
712 Reviews
Newtonmore, UK
7 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is there to do for a non skier?

Will you have transport?

Weather permitting there are low level walks - such as round Loch an Eilean. Or if the weather is good you could take the funicular up to the top station and admire the views.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What is there to do for a non skier?

Thanks for your reply. I don't drive unfortunately so will be relying on public transport and my own two feet!

I will definitely want to take the funicular and spend some time looking at the scenery.

Any walks round and about Newtonmore?

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,507 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is there to do for a non skier?

Hi

Have a look at this walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/kingussie.sht…

we used it last year when staying nr Kingussie. I reckon you can find at least one walk near where you are staying.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is there to do for a non skier?

There will be buses and the train which can shift you up and down the Spey valley. You are not confined to Newtonmore. www.carlberry.co.uk/rfnshowl.asp?L1=NEW249

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is there to do for a non skier?

From Aviemore, you get easily get to Coylumbridge. There are lots of nice forestry walks round the Coylumbridge/Loch Morlich area. The same transport as might take you up to the chairlift but you get off at Glenmore Lodge or the Coylumbridge campsite.

Depends on how much snow is about - or how high it is. Sometimes these paths are great for walkers, sometimes they're more appropriate for huskies. But they're relatively flat, not dangerous, and if you're properly clothed and shod, no problem even if snowy. [unlike the higher slopes round Cairngorm itself which are in dangerous condition right now due to changing weather conditions, as you've probably seen in the news.]

Walkhighlands much recommended.

Mentioned in this post
Aviemore
Aviemore
Badenoch and Strathspey, UK
Loch Morlich
Loch Morlich
394 Reviews
Aviemore, UK
Glenmore Lodge
Glenmore Lodge
81 Reviews
Aviemore, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is there to do for a non skier?

There's the steam train from Aviemore through Boat of Garten; a hotel for lunch then back, or a wlk into the woods.

Not sure if their limited winter timetable will coincide ... but worth mentioning in case anyone else is thinking of the same question.

strathspeyrailway.co.uk/dnn/WhatsOn/Timetabl…

Mentioned in this post
Aviemore
Aviemore
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,800 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is there to do for a non skier?

I don't think the steam engine runs in the winter - the train is pulled by a more modern diesel so its not so much fun

Even The MacDonald Centre in Aviemore is quite nice for a wander round looking at all the shops inside. Travelling by bus is quite good fun as you get to see the countryside from a slightly higher elevation!

Mentioned in this post
Aviemore
Aviemore
Reply to: What is there to do for a non skier?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newtonmore
Recent Conversations