We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Voltage Adaptor & Convertor???

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
432 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Voltage Adaptor & Convertor???

Ok, I know I will need a converter - however, will I also need an adaptor, or do the plugs look like ours? (polarized - 1 slightly larger than the other) I bought 2 different kits - 1 was $55 one was $25 - and the cheaper one only has 3 adaptors where the more expensive one has 4 - I will return one of these, hopefully the more expensive one!! ;)

Any help is much appreciated!

Jen~

ontario
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Voltage Adaptor & Convertor???

Jen, We took a $55 kit, and couldn't get anything to work, so no straight shiny locks for me! The plugs are 2 round holes... The rooms do have a hairdryer, so I made do and had curly, frizzy "beach hair" for the week. It was actually quite a relief not to fuss over my hair for a week, and have an excuse for it!

Bathurst New...
Level Contributor
336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Voltage Adaptor & Convertor???

Jen, we bought a cheap set at Wal-mart last year, I think like $15-20..it worked the very best. The Make is American Tourister..it's in the luggage section

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Voltage Adaptor & Convertor???

we bought the american tourister one from wal-mart as well. same price . there was a couple of other ones and this particular model is called a "Worldwide Adaptor Plug"

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
432 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Voltage Adaptor & Convertor???

ok - well the cheaper of the two has the two round pins on the back of the actual convertor...so that may be all I need???

Does anyone know what the plugs look like??

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
498 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Voltage Adaptor & Convertor???

They had a regular 110 V outlet in the bathroom, so I don't think you will need an adapter.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Voltage Adaptor & Convertor???

what piece of equipment do you need the adaptor for??

some laptop and camera battery chargers may be 110/240 V compatible and therefore will plug right in with no need for a step down convertor.

you will need to use a small plug adaptor to convert the flat type plug prongs (Cdn) into the round type plug prongs (Cuba).

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
432 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Voltage Adaptor & Convertor???

MY FLAT IRON!!! LOL I will have crazy beachcomber hair if not!!!!!!!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,487 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Voltage Adaptor & Convertor???

Be carefull, since most flat iron will not work with normal converters. Usually, converters accept 1600W, but many flat irons are 1850W and more...

Since the most powerfull converters are expensives (35-40$) and really heavy, I solved the problem by bying a bivoltage flat irons, 29$ at Sears! And you know what? it works better than my expensive one so I use it every day now!!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
432 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Voltage Adaptor & Convertor???

I am embarrassed to say it's worth nearly $300 - so it's kind of a big deal if it gets fried!

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Voltage Adaptor & Convertor???

why not live with "Beach Hair" for the week and throw a clip in it???? last year my friend did this..didn't know her hair could get so BIG!!LOL