We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Please!!! Room help .. - bad start before we leave

Brooklin, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help Please!!! Room help .. - bad start before we leave

Wrote to RH ... got a reply finally - had to send from my hotmail account for them to receive.

Anyways ... reply said we'd booked in the SPA section, which i'm writing back to tell them is incorrect, our tickets say HIDEAWAY or SPA section ... anyways .....

My MAIN reason for writing to you good people ... I requested blocks 41 or 42 ... reply: CLOSED DURING OUR VISIT!!!! ARGH!!! Can anyone offer any suggestions as to a good room location meeting the following requirements:

- Ocean'view' (or close to considering mangroves :))

- Good distance to the beach and the main building (for eating purposes)

Any help sincerely appreciated - we're getting really nervous about this. I've read one post telling me one of the pools is closed right now, and now this about the rooms ... very very nervous ... our last vacation before kids ....

Thanks,

FM

Brooklin, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Please!!! Room help .. - bad start before we leave

in addition ... i've written to my travel agent ... I read on this forum the pool is closing middle of June - i'm start of July ... may impact us as well. Rooms closed ... pool closed ... myself and my wife are very concerned.

Nunavut
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Please!!! Room help .. - bad start before we leave

We stayed at this resort in June.

We were in building 49. As many have said, there is a lot of walking in this place, no matter where you are located.

There is a small spa pool, perhaps that is the one that will be closed while you are there.

The large pool was where we spent all our time after the first day. The first day, we went to the beach and the service was terrible. We never did get served.

When we were leaving, I was speaking to a Canadian lady about the bad service. She was told that in June 2007, there were 100 people there. In June 2008, there were 900 people.

Hope you have a good trip.

Nunavut
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Please!!! Room help .. - bad start before we leave

Sorry, we were there in May.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Please!!! Room help .. - bad start before we leave

Focused: I think you really need a vacation :) Try not to stress too much. Remember that room requests are only 'requests' - there is no guarantee, so don't let this completely stress you out. Regardless of the room you get, you will be on an amazing resort, just enjoy the sights, enjoy the company and enjoy the culture.

We had booked in the Hideaway section and were assigned a room in the Spa Section. I had asked for an upper level room, we got a lower level room. Didn't bother us one bit, our vacation was AMAZING. The pool on the Spa Side is breathtaking, we didn't have a 'view' of the ocean, but from what I can figure out, the only rooms that would have a 'view' wouldn't even be worth the trouble to get... the view is a distant little view. None of the bungalows are on the beach.

Anyhow, I know we all have high expectations when we go on vacation, but if you let the little things stress you out, you'd be setting yourself up for disappointment and RHE is just too amazing to loose 1 minute on that.

Go. Relax. Enjoy. It's magical!

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
498 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Please!!! Room help .. - bad start before we leave

Spa Section and Hideaway Section rooms are exactly the same, so quit worrying about the rooms. Any building in the Spa section will meet your needs, except for the Ocean view. I wouldn't think that there are any buildings with an Ocean View in the this section. But in restrospect, who cares?

The pool that is closed is in the Hideaway Section, which is probably why they have closed the rooms in that section (which includes blocks 41 & 42).

I would say it is pro-active on the RH management's part to close the Hideaway section room blocks. They don't want guests having to walk too far to get to the pool in the Spa section.

Relax! The place is beautiful, it will not be over-crowded, and you have a lovely beach view from the chairs on the beach... :)

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Please!!! Room help .. - bad start before we leave

The pitfalls of traveling low season...Many resorts close unnecessary amenities. I would take a week in the Spa section over a week at work any day!

Ask for buildings 20, 21, 22.

Closer to the amenities - less walking if that's a concern. There is definitely no oceanview from the Spa section.

A bad day at the beach is better than a good day anywhere else.

:-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Please!!! Room help .. - bad start before we leave

Stayed in the Spa section in bungalow 21 and loved it. Very close to spa pool (amazing!), lobby and beach. No view of ocean as all of the bungalows are set a long way back. Personally thought the spa section is better than the hideaway section due to the lush folliage there. I think the spa section is a premium over the hideaway section so be happy! Very quite in May only a few hundred people there May 9-15. Glad we didn't go when there were 900 as we enjoyed the quiet and our pick of the many loungers. Don't worry -- be happy. Wish I were you.

Brooklin, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Please!!! Room help .. - bad start before we leave

thanks everyone, appreciate all of your input!!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Please!!! Room help .. - bad start before we leave

We requested building 39, and were put in 21 or 22, and it turned out great. We asked for second floor, ocean view, and although the ocean wasn't that close, we could still see it from the balcony or while in bed. We were very happy with the way it turned out.

Also, we preferred the spa pool to the hideaway one, and we were very close to both the pool and the main building. The only longish walk we had was to the beach, once going down in the morning, and once at the end of the day.

Don't be nervous, just swim up to the bar and have another Mojito, Bahama Mama, Varadero Sunrise, or Special Drink of the Day!

10. Re: Help Please!!! Room help .. - bad start before we leave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 12:18