We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prices have gone up

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
805 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
prices have gone up

Wow...last year I payed under 5,000 for 2 weeks and I would think because of the recession that prices would be good.. Cannot find a thing under 5200. Anyone else being successful at getting good prices. Think of leaving last 2 weeks of Feb out of Montreal

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: prices have gone up

I think our dollar is not worth as much this year.

2 weeks start Feb 14th

From Montreal - $2562 + tax

From Toronto - $2198 + tax

$364 difference per person -

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prices have gone up

Exactly. Isn't the Peso pegged to the US dollar?

ontario
Level Contributor
478 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prices have gone up

Also, all Canadian Universities have the same reading week this year, Feb 16 - 20 making that week peak prices (even though RHE wouldn't be their destination). As well, Family Day is that week...again, a holiday.

I think most of the best deals will be last minute as flights don't fill (look at what is happening this month).

Skittles

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: prices have gone up

Right, the CUC is pegged to the USD. January sales always tend to be good, but when you hit mid February it tends to be more expensive. Valentine's Day, reading weeks then March break. This year's different than previous years, not really sure how it's all going to pan out - you could be right about last minute deals... then again... lol

:-)

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: prices have gone up

Talk about a price that dropped like a hammer last week for 2 week vacation to RHE.

It was $2599+taxes, then price dropped to $2399+taxes for some time, but wait... the hammer dropped to $1858+taxes last week!

That's over $500 drop at once!

Dirty sales tactics by Air Transat.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,713 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: prices have gone up

early days yet. wait a few weeks and see what happens. the economy is struggling and if you can, hang on a bit. carol e.

Snow Island
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: prices have gone up

"Dirty sales tactics by Air Transat."

Sounds a bit harsh.

Due to the economy, the Tour Operators need to fill planes. If they drop prices to entice travellers, that is their perogative, and it makes good business sense.

When we book a deal for a vacation, it's always at a price that we can live with, and we don't get "ticked off" when the price goes down. It's the nature of the "game"... if the price went "up", what would it be called then?

GG ;-)

k-ver
Level Contributor
233 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: prices have gone up

RHE 659 + TAX for a week leaving this friday

KR

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: prices have gone up

We have friends who booked Melia las dunas in September and are paying 1285.00 each and now it is way down....you really have to wait it out to book....pick a few resorts you might like to go to..they put Santa Maria on this past week at a very low price...I guess it is good for the folks who can wait until last minute.....I think it will be a week to week thing right now.....would it be cheaper to book from Toronto drive there and stay overnight and then fly out.....we stay at the Travel Lodge on Dixon for 120.00 and that includes parking for the week and shuttles to the airport....I know it is more expensive from Montreal.....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,936 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: prices have gone up

I booked March break a few months ago and everything is almost double the price now. I am so glad I booked early. I never would be able to travel at the price it's currently selling for.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Ensenachos
Recent Conversations