We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet Sad Case - any help?

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Internet Sad Case - any help?

You know those pathetic people who end up working when they go on holiday to some tropical resort and are desperately trying to find a computer with Word and an internet connection? Well I think I am about to become one.

I don't know how possible this will vbe at the Royal Hideaway Ensenachos but at the moment it is the one thing blighting the excitement of my trip tomorrow (all booked at short notice).

Anyone similarly pathetic who has tackled this please advise.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet Sad Case - any help?

Please learn to R E L A X . The world will not stop if you decide to "check out" for a week. I am married to one of you fellows and it took a while and the reason we chose Cuba as a destination a decade ago and keep going there is the fact there was no cell reception. Sadly there is now, but hubbie has learned how valuable it is for him and his clients not to be avalable for a week.

Accept and try to find a way to (just for a week) to let go ..... it is very impowering

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet Sad Case - any help?

I agree with you and I am breaking one of my golden rules but on this occassion if I did not spend a couple of hours working out of 10 days I would not be able to go at all - this is unavoidable. Does your reply mean the Royal Hideaway now has the connections I'm looking for?

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,351 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet Sad Case - any help?

I dont know if you will find the information you need at this link.

www.royalhideawayensenachos.ca/Resort.html

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet Sad Case - any help?

i dont think there are very many people who need to be connected more than me. I usually find a way, even if it means going to another resort.

And guess what, when I can't - the world does not end....

Dont think anybody can tell you that teh computers in a resorts interent cafe will be working for a specific duration. Es Cuba.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,623 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet Sad Case - any help?

I'm likely the most Cuban Internet connected foreigner posting on this forum. Even in Havana with the best WiFi and Internet access on the Island it's still a HUGE hassle to conduct normal business over the Internet.

1.) Send out a memo to everyone who will be contacting you instructing them to send no attachments unless absolutely necessary, and to keep the attachments as small as possible.

2.) Bring several flash drives from different manufacturers with you. Hopefully the computers at the resort will accept and recognize one of them.

3.) Bring your own laptop to do all your work on, then transfer it over to the flash drive for download and emailing from the resort computer. Unfortunately there will be no way for you to connect your own laptop to the resorts Internet.

4.) Plan on doing the absolute minimum possible work. Trying to do anything beyond that will result in nothing but frustration.

5.) Bring your cell phone. Many UK service providers offer decent, affordable service from Cuba. If that doesn't work buy a Cuban Calling Card. It's amazing what you can accomplish in a 60 second business call when you're telling your client that the connection may be lost at any moment (but aren't you a great guy for making the effort.)

Tranquilo, and good luck.

Cheers,

Terry

Bowmanville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Internet Sad Case - any help?

It's vacation after all, put your work away, it's R&R time, but if you need to stay in touch with the society, you can purchase internet cards at the front desk. 30 min./$6 CUC and 60 min./$12 CUC. There are 5-6 computers in the Business Centre.

Have a great vacation to Paradise!

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Internet Sad Case - any help?

Thanks to all, particularly Terry who seems to have really understood the problem. My own laptop + flash drives seems the way forward and all those who think I'm an idiot for working I agree but the alternative is watching the snow turn to slush and grey London drizzle - so all in all well worth it! This holiday is an unplanned bonus. Thanks again.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,623 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Internet Sad Case - any help?

With all due respect to many of the forum members here, I get really tired of hearing the "ignore everything, you're on vacation" lecture. Not everyone punches a clock or owns a business that can be completely shut down.

When you see me working for an hour or so every day on vacation don't feel too sorry for me though... that one hour of daily work while you're enjoying the pool allows me to take a next-day last minute vacation almost whenever I feel like it, and to extend that (working) vacation to 3 - 4 months per year.

I'll gladly take that over a few short weeks of your uninterrupted vacation anytime... ;-)

Cheers,

Terry

Victoria BC
Level Contributor
960 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Internet Sad Case - any help?

Well said Terry!

I wish that we could take your type of vacations, the work part included, we're just not in the right business for that!

Enjoy my friend!

p.s. Are you still in Panama or will you be in another locale for Christmas? Wherever you land, happy holidays to you and yours!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Internet Sad Case - any help?

Terry you're absolutely correct I get some strange looks if my phone rings and I clear up a problem in 30 seconds of my away time. This might happen 2 or 3 times in 10 to 14 days I can live with that.

LENNY