We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RHE diet concerns.

Cold Lake, Alberta
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
RHE diet concerns.

My GF and I are going to RHE on Jan 20th for a week. It will be our first trip anywhere tropical and are getting really excited. She has just been advised to lay off greasy food for awhile. Is there jello and maybe broth soups at the bufffet? Should we bring our own? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: RHE diet concerns.

You know, it is possible to eat low fat without eating jello and broth soup...

You will find a lot of veggies, fruits, grilled meat and fish, white rice, white pasta (with tomato sauce), bread... All of those are low fat and a lot better for your health than jello and broth soupe... Don't worry, she will find plenty to eat that is good for her, healthy and low fat.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
275 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RHE diet concerns.

There is a great selection of non-fried foods. Fresh fish from the grill in the buffet is lovely. In fact, I don't recall there being a tonne of fried foods available at the buffet or other restaurants (except for the spring rolls int he Japanese restaurant) but, then, they're not something I eat regularly - and I was fine.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,148 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RHE diet concerns.

I did not see any jello or broth soups, there was some sort of soup at the buffet each day but it didn't look "not greasy". Plain pasta is available and plain boiled eggs (at breakfast), saw no plain rice though.

If her diet is very specific then it might be a good idea to take along a few items, dry foods like jello and broth cubes/powder are allowed, but meats, dairy products, fresh fruit and vegetables probably are not and you will find them at the resort.

toronto, ON
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: RHE diet concerns.

You know, I'm pretty sure I actually DO remember seeing jello at the buffet a few times. Never checked out the soups though. As others have mentioned, there are lots of healthy, non-greasy foods available. For breakfast I always had cereal, and instead of milk I would add plain yogurt from the 'juice bar', and some dried fruit. Super delish.There were also always hardboiled eggs, and fruit. Lunch you could get lots of stewed or grilled meats, grilled fish, fresh fruit, salad bar, white rice, etc. Same at dinner. The other restaurants usually have menu items that are healthy as well. There is not actually that much that I would call 'greasy', other than the calamari, etc. (Which, sadly for your gf, was really good! :)

Hope that helps!

London
Level Contributor
36 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RHE diet concerns.

Diet will be difficult there - I got back this week after a 10 day stay. Much of the meat is fried although north Americans and Canadians call these kitchen implements 'grills' they are actually heating oil and frying food! Look for white rice and plain grilled meat usually served in ther smaller middle section of the buffet. Everything at the front and rear of the buffet is fried. Fruit is surprisingly untasty so bring vitamin tablets, fresh vegtables are relatively rare and many of the vegtables are tinned or mixed into a salad containing artificial mayonaise and sauces. Dried fruits and cereals are readily available. Cold meats are generally, cheap, processed and fatty. Bread is uniformly awful and never freshly baked. Be careful I ended uo with a colon infection possibly from change of diet or infection from fish.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,148 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RHE diet concerns.

Yes, everything fried on the grill is fried in oil..

There were apples, sliced papaya, pineapple, tomatoes, shredded cabbage and some other fresh items at the buffet.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
275 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RHE diet concerns.

Ah, sorry for the definition mix-up. When I think "fried" I think deep fried or immersed in oil.

Yes, the do use oil on the grills.

Toronto
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: RHE diet concerns.

Hello,

We are visiting ORH this month and am devouring all there is as to this resort. After reading your comments re. food, I am concerned- have had a problem with diverticulitis due to seeds, skins of food, that kind of thing... then read that perhaps the fish was off or something like that? One does not want to take ill so remote from everywhere... I am also hoping to avoid greasy foods/fried everything like is so common today. having stayed years ago at another Cuba resort on south shore- although it was by far a low star resort- the food was always steam table safe (which to me is more important than gourmet banquest huge variaties). I ate tons of papaya there. Is papaya available at Occ. Royal Hideaway? I would be most dissapointed to find it is not, as Cuba grows terrific papaya and limes squeezed on them is amazing! Sorry to read fruit is canned?

From reading, people say to fill up at breakfast, as lunches and dinners vary and you really can't pick out which a la carte restaurant you want?

Is it possible to eat early? Hopefully not late like 8 or 9 pm. Did you take/reccomend any side trips? Was thinking of the fly to havana/ and or swim with dolphins.

Sory for so many questions, but you have been there and know it first hand- I just want our group to enjoy this.

Thank you for any feedback.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,148 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RHE diet concerns.

Hi,

I'll answer what I can, we were there for Christmas 09. Fresh, sliced papaya was available at the buffet, and there were slices of lime too (I remember taking a few to accompany the grilled salmon we were having) and we really liked the sweet little bananas at the buffet. There was also fresh, sliced pineapple.

Breakfast is served from 7-10:30am. I thought the crêpes and omelets were good and the coffee is also very good. We were OK with the food, it's just the reservation system that we did not like (I mentioned this in my review).

Alberta
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RHE diet concerns.

I was counting on Papaya too and it was not always there for breakfast. The buffet is very small and the breakfast selection is very limited in choice compared to the other 3 cuban hotels that I have been to. The lunch and dinner buffet is much better than the breakfast. The cooks spray the grills with oil so this is a good thing, if you can only tolerate a certain type of oil then bring it with you. We are not picky eaters at all but did notice that allot of the food was either cold or, over cooked. So we picked a plate of finger food and ate that while in line for the fresh grill stations. I did noticed that many guests were grabbing desert straight away, did not understand this until I noticed that the plates were empty and the station was slow to be replenished.

Seriously lower your expectations big time and you will get by just fine.

Edited: 10 January 2010, 21:45