We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's up with the reviews in the past week - not good?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What's up with the reviews in the past week - not good?

I've never seen so many negative reviews and comments for this resort.

Check out today's review. It has 3 paragraphs copied and pasted from a previous review dated Jan 4/10. The paragraphs about the hotel management eating in restaurants.... They're exactly replicated!!!!!! Is this someone who is abusing the system and posing as a fake who never went to RHE, or what?

We're heading to RHE on the 18th for our second time, and hope the service and food is as wonderful as it was 2 years ago.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,843 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's up with the reviews in the past week - not good?

"...3 paragraphs copied and pasted from a previous review"

I also wondered about that.

While there were things at the RHE that we did not like (mainly to do with management), I still think it's a very nice resort, with lovely grounds, rooms... gorgeous beach, rating it a 1 or 2 on 5 just isn't objective IMO.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,500 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What's up with the reviews in the past week - not good?

We stay at a resort on Cayo Guillermo. We do see management, and on occasion, other visiting officials eating at the buffet. They usually sit in a certain section and some times get served a dish from the kitchen. We've been joined for dinner by some of the entertainers. Not a big deal to see staff in there, having a meal. I'm curious as to what the Waiter or Waitress would do if a placed my order :

"I'd like to have what the manager is having tonight please!"

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What's up with the reviews in the past week - not good?

This resort traditionally doesn't fare well when operating at or near capacity, or during low season. It's no excuse, just the way it is. When booking a resort, I like to go back to reviews from the previous year around the time that I'll be going - check the date of stay, not just when the review was posted. Unless there are drastic changes in management, it's a pretty good indicator of what one can expect.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,843 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's up with the reviews in the past week - not good?

Oncearound, when would you say is the best time(s) to go?

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What's up with the reviews in the past week - not good?

Just before high season IMO. Everything is up and running in anticipation of the "crowd".

This resort suits us. We're early risers, don't need or want constant entertainment and are easy going. Just want to chill on a beach for a week and look at some fishes - maybe even catch a few. We've been mid March with the "crowd" and didn't enjoy it as much.

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
263 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's up with the reviews in the past week - not good?

Repeat of a previous post:

I agree that there is something fishy about those reviews. There is repeated content in several of them and they just seem so over-the-top virulent. I'm not saying that the RHE is flawless, but this makes me think a particularly put-out guest is trying to slag the resort by posting multiple negative reviews...

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's up with the reviews in the past week - not good?

I take a look at the number of contributions the reviewer has made to all of Trip Advisor. If it's only 1, I don't take the review seriously even if it's a glowing review.

We're headed back on Friday for our 3rd visit and we're looking forward to it!

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's up with the reviews in the past week - not good?

We were there from Dec 30th to Jan 06th and many of the negative comments in the reviews are a reflection of what was really going on, at that time.

I suspect that there was such a build up for New years Eve with huge tips flying around, big time; then after all that excitement, the service level fell to an all time low.

You can have a beautiful looking hotel, nice rooms, excellent concierge service, but if the back bone of the hotel (The Staff) is weak, then you just don't get what you paid for. There were many Newbies to Cuba who were so upset that they swore they would never return, we tried to share with them our many positive experiences at other hotels, but it fell on deaf ears.

We also spoke with guests who loved the place. I do believe that if all of the guests actually took the time to fill in the commentary forms, that things will improve and get back to what this hotel is known for.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's up with the reviews in the past week - not good?

We too were there over the Christmas and New Year and would again say that things were not right at the hotel.

I have posted my review (I am independent and did not travel with a group).

I am afraid I can only report what we experienced during our visit. We were suprised given the glowing reviews the hotel had received in the past and wondered if we were in the same hotel especially as so many reviews were from repeat guests.

Perhaps the hotel cannot cope at full capacity and is much better operating at lower occupancy rates.

Hopefully things will have improved now the busy season is over

Sarnia
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's up with the reviews in the past week - not good?

Blame the weather, looks like they did.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Ensenachos