We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from my maiden voyage to IE

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from my maiden voyage to IE

I flew into Calgary this afternoon from Santa Clara and I have a detailed review (things I wasn't aware until I got there, food, dress code, excursions, etc.) for all the first timers to IE and updates for everyone else, but that'll take a few days since I have lots of pics to sort through first.

So until then if you anyone has any questions, shoot my way. I will do my part in this forum just like you guys did and helped me out. I even took pics just to post in this forum.

niagara falls ont
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from my maiden voyage to IE

Could you please elaborate on the dress code for the ala cartes? Thanks!

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from my maiden voyage to IE

Looking forward to reading your review, ibab.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from my maiden voyage to IE

From what I could gather was that you need to wear long pants to ala cartes. I'm purposely saying long pants and not trousers because I've seen people in there with ripped jeans and t-shirt (and once even a baseball cap) and our friends (a couple that we met when we got there and became friends) got turned away because the guy had shorts and golf shirt. He didn't bring any sort of trousers with him.

People usually dressed up to go there - trousers and collared shirts (that's what I wore to all 7 dinners, 3 at ala cartes and the rest at the buffet. It was just convenient to hang out at the lobby after dinner for the night's entertainment or a drink or two.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from my maiden voyage to IE

Did you do any excursions? If so which ones and would you recommend them?

And how was the night life, we have heard there are areas to travel outside of the resort.

We would also like to travel to a near by town for an afternoon of shopping and dinner within the town. Any recommendations?

We are a young couple and interested in hearing about the atmosphere

Hope you enjoyed your holiday!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from my maiden voyage to IE

Looking forward to your full review, but was wondering if you noticed any issues with loud, obnoxious groups of drunk people? I noticed a couple reviews recently mentioned that being a problem. We are really hoping for a nice, quiet getaway in a non-party environment.

Thanks in advance!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from my maiden voyage to IE

I also am looking forward to your review as we are heading there on Mar 24 and can't wait for some sun and R&R :-) I have a couple of questions if you have time, otherwise I will wait for your review.

-Was it easy to make reservations for the a la cartes or did you have to line up for a long time?

-Did you exchange your money at the hotel and if so were they able to give you lots of small bills for tipping?

-What was your overall impression of the resort, would you return?

Any other hints/tips you can provide would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from my maiden voyage to IE

CanadianTraveler171: We did go on some excursions. We went on the catamaran trip and scuba diving. Would definitely recommend both. Catamaran trip is a full day trip but so much fun. Scuba diving was a morning activity. We wanted to go to Trinidad, but couldn't fit it in the 7 days.

There's definitely night life at IE. The Jazz club turns into a disco, has a pool table inside as well. Have seen people partying until 2 in there.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from my maiden voyage to IE

Islander279: We didn't come across any loud obnoxious groups of drunk at IE. You will surely be able to have a quiet getaway in a non-party environment. If you want super quiet (without any kids), stay at the Spa section.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from my maiden voyage to IE

cairo20: We did get in the a la cartes, but we didn't get the prime times. We got the 9 pm slots. We had to wait 10 mins in the line-up to make reservations.

- We exchanged all our money at IE and they give you lots of 1 pesos. The first time the guy gave be 34 'uno pesos'.

- We loved it, the beaches were spectacular. If we ever decide to go back to that part of Cuba, we'll definitely stay at IE.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,544 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from my maiden voyage to IE

Fantastic - thanks for all of the info!