We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet...wi fi...texting????

Barrie, Ontario...
2 posts
Save Topic
Internet...wi fi...texting????

Just wondering if any of this works at IE??? Going next week and staying in the Grand Villas section...never been to cuba before...

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,321 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet...wi fi...texting????

No Wi-Fi, but there is dial up internet available at the hotel. As regards texting that depends on whether your phone can operate on the GSM900 frequency.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet...wi fi...texting????

Ditto on the above post. They do have dial up internet as mentioned, however, it was down most of the time we were there and is extremely slow when it is working. It is also very expensive in my opinion, $12CUC for one hour and they did not sell it for any less time, an hour was the minimum you could purchase..........

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
97,321 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet...wi fi...texting????

Bit of a rip off that I think. 12 CUC per hour is expensive, I assume you could log off and use the balance of your time later on.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet...wi fi...texting????

She told us it was a one shot deal......if you buy it you have to use it all at the same time. Needless to say we only used it once (it was only working one day when we were there anyway :-)

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
97,321 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet...wi fi...texting????

That is a poor show for a 5 star hotel.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
214 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internet...wi fi...texting????

My Telus iPhone did not work in the Cayos and the other guests I met who had Telus had the same issue on other types if phones, Bell customers phones seemed to work however. I had luck using my gmail to contact home for check ups on my little one. A 12 CUC Internet card was more than enough for twice daily emails.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Internet...wi fi...texting????

The internet is a card based system which has your id and password on a card...you can log on & off as long as you have $$$ on the card...as many times as you want.I didn't use all of mine in 2011 and finished with it in 2012..there ya go.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
194 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Internet...wi fi...texting????

Thanks for the information, Darren! Good to know.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,351 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Internet...wi fi...texting????

They sell it in 30 mins for 6 cucs.

Some times they have run out of those cards so can only sell the hours .

It is log on and off as many times you wish, until time used.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,526 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Internet...wi fi...texting????

Seriously Darren? I thought we might have been taken for a ride - reception is extremely frustrating to deal with. We were told if we didn't use it all then we would have to buy a new card the next day if we wanted more access. Good to know for next time :-)