We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Seat Upgrades

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Flight Seat Upgrades

When we travel south since its our big VK of the year we always book first class or business class seating, gets you extra baggage weight, and some perks for drinks, meals etc and most importantly you get to avoid those huge lines at the airport. Have flown Air Transat (first class was awesome) and Sunwing (theirs is equal to a business class), if I understand correctly you can't get this on Canjet and several other carriers, I'd love to fly out of Hamilton instead of Toronto but I don't even see Cuba on iTravel or Airtransat sites, can I get some experienced feed back on this please?

Appreciate the help.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Cayo Ensenachos
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight Seat Upgrades

I love Club Class and travel that way whenever our destination is using Transat planes. If they are using Canjet they have what is called "Canjet Select" which is the equivalent to Transat's "Options Plus". I will take that and book the emergency exit rows for the extra leg room. This costs more than the actual package as they are based on just regular seats.

If Hamilton is not listed with Cuba you could be outta luck and have to use Toronto. Better choices there for flights and carriers. Good luck. :)

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight Seat Upgrades

Thanks for the input, read your review of the Ensenachos as well, all very helpful. Muchas Gracias, Adios

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
459 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight Seat Upgrades

I also fly club class when ever possible, I research trips strickly on air transat first , with price then area then reviews. I try to get the same package with same dates leaving from Calgary as our daughter joins us, as we fly from toronto. However, this year was tricky, I have had to book her flight from westjet to fly to toronto and then leave with us on air transat, and returning on westjet on our return, makes for a 7 or 8 hour flight time...but the cost was the same, and the hotel we picked,melia Cayo Santa Maria, didnt have a flight to Calgary.

Vaudreuil-Dorion...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Ensenachos
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight Seat Upgrades

For us too it is Club Class. That was another deciding factor this year. The flight to Melia Cayo Guillermo (our usual resort) was using Canjet (don't know why....it has always been an "Air Transat" plane). We wanted to try Cayo Ensenachos a couple of years ago so I decided to check it out for the fun of it and found out that the flight to Santa Clara was going to be Air Transat. When I saw the snorkeling off the beach, calm waters and the spectacular beach along with being able to book Club Class we were sold and booked immediately. We have always went to the MCG and one year tried Melia Cayo Santa Maria (it is a very nice resort but the waves and red flag most of the week was not fun.....considering we love getting into the ocean everyday and ended up chancing it a couple of times). I flew in the sardine class with AT once and that was enough! We always book early each year now to make sure we can get Club. The only down side is the patience that you have to wait to return beautiful Cuba! And as I look at the calendar, yup still 4 months to go! LOL

P.S. Phazar when you go to the MCSM say hi to Frank the Omelette King (egg station in the morning buffet....if he is still there and at that station). He is a great guy and very friendly. Send me a PM if you want to know anything else about the resort.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,560 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight Seat Upgrades

I have flown club class with AT and executive class with AC. I have also flown with Sunwing which I wouldn't really categorize as business class although there are some perks. In my opinion, AC executive class is the best. I will gladly fly out of Toronto in order to go executive class and have already booked for our January trip. In order to secure business class/club class etc you will likely need to fly out of Toronto.

Vaudreuil-Dorion...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Ensenachos
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight Seat Upgrades

Yes executive class with AC great and better than AT's Club Class. I have flown their executive first class a few times (I remember once I was amongst a bunch of stuffy people, who looked at me strangely as I was laughing too much at the in-flight movie.....I was the only one in First watching....the movie by the way was Meet the Parents....and the stuffy people were looking like "who let her in first"!!!!!). AC didn't offer the Spa section at Ensenachos...I think it's an AT exclusive. Same thing when we go to the Melia Cayo Guillermo...AC doesn't offer it for us out of Montreal.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,560 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight Seat Upgrades

Sue - AC is actually offering the spa section in the 2013 brochure :-)

Vaudreuil-Dorion...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Ensenachos
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight Seat Upgrades

They aren't (yet) for Nov 2012. Anyhow, I have no problems with AT Club Class. If I had to go their Sardine Class, uh hum sorry, I mean Economy Class, I could not. Did that once, going wasn't too bad as the 3 person beside was thin, coming back the person should have reserved 2 seats a he was literally spilling over into mine

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,560 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight Seat Upgrades

Sardine class is the perfect way to describe it :-) If want to go with Air Canada they are showing the spa section available for Nov 2012 (I just double checked the website). The package is probably less expensive with AT though.........

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Cayo Ensenachos
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight Seat Upgrades

Transat still have themselves listed on their site as exclusive for the Spa section but I see the Spa section is listed with Sunwing so perhaps this is a mistake on their site.

We have booked earlier than usual, in June actually as the price was the best I have ever seen it in my 4 trips there & with the added early booking bonus and the availability of club class it was a no brainer. We always go for the 2x2 seat configuration so we have the seats to ourselves and not have to worry about spill overs LOL

I have yet to try AC executive class as we have always had Transat but one of these days we will.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Ensenachos