We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ibersotar Ensenachos VS. Melia Cayo Coco

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Ibersotar Ensenachos VS. Melia Cayo Coco

Hello all!

My husband (26yr old), myself (26yr old), and our two friends (25yr old and 26yr old) are planning a trip to Cuba this January (2nd last week of January). We have narrowed it down between Iberostar Ensenachos Cayo Santa Maria or Melia Cayo Coco. We really need to know if anyone has been to both and what they prefer. We are looking at beaches/water and food. I know the Iberostar is much larger and is wondering if the long walks deters from enjoying the beach and if it's more difficult to get seating for meals? Our flights would be direct from our home city so that is not an issue. Please help!

Vaudreuil-Dorion...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Ensenachos
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ibersotar Ensenachos VS. Melia Cayo Coco

IBE is much bigger but it is located on it's on island so you will find only the guests of the resort on the beach. The distance to the beaches are not that bad. 5 minutes usually to the closet beach area. When you look on the map it looks a lot farther. There are also golf carts that can take you to the father areas. Food is better than at the Melia's in my opinion, however both are OK. MCC is 18+ while IBE has different sections Spa being 18+, Park being families all ages and Grand Village being 14+. However the beaches are open to all so are the main areas. The a-la-carte steakhouse in the Spa section is only open for 18+. However as MCC is on a beach that has other resorts you will also have all ages of people walking by. IBE is about 90 min. from the airport and MCC about 15 min. IBE seating for meals is never a problem...there is plenty of space in the buffet and plenty of a-la-cartes. Beaches....you can't beat the IBE. Best beaches in Cuba IMO.

Napanee, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ibersotar Ensenachos VS. Melia Cayo Coco

Been to the former RHE 5 times now IBE. Going to IBE Oct 19. Visited Melia Cayo Coco to see friends when we were at Melia Cayo Guillermo. MCC did not impress us. Albeit adults only. MCG was way better then MCC. And RHE was way better then both. From what we can see and hope to see first hand Oct 19 that IBE is the place to go of the three. Royalton has peaked our interest.

I hope I made sense. Not sure if I helped. LOL

Just so you know we are seasoned Cuba maniacs. This will be our 29 th trip to Cuba since 2001

Vaudreuil-Dorion...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Ensenachos
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ibersotar Ensenachos VS. Melia Cayo Coco

Personally I totally agree with you fireqpnapanee. Actually the MCG used to be our place since 2004...then we went to the IBE...and that was it our new home away from home. MCC never impressed us also. One of the things I highly detest over at the MCG are the wind surfers....I saw way too many near misses with the people in the water, on shore as well as on the pier....including some children almost getting flattened by a windsurfer that came up on the beach out of control. At the IBE the water is so calm that you don't see them....actually even if there is a storm off the coast the water is never rough enough that you can't get into it (unlike over at the Cayo Santa Maria side....we were there once and for a week it was safe to go in the water once...rest of the time it was red flagged or yellow with jelly fish!).

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Cayo Ensenachos
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ibersotar Ensenachos VS. Melia Cayo Coco

I totally agree with the above. You might want to consider the wind factor in Cayo Coco at that time of year. It's open ocean just like Cayo Guillermo(just down the road) and when it;s windy it's nasty and during the early weeks of January there is a high chance of cold fronts and wind in that area. The cold front hits every where but Cayo Ensenachos is protected from the windy.

It's a wonderful place to stay and we are heading back for trip 6, many repeat guests.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ibersotar Ensenachos VS. Melia Cayo Coco

Thanks everyone! After reading all your tips, our group has decided to go to MCC (price was a bit cheaper which was a huge factor to our friends and it was adult only - which they really wanted). However, IBE is now on my hubby's and mine "to stay at" list for future trips! Thanks again! Fingers crossed it will be good!

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ibersotar Ensenachos VS. Melia Cayo Coco

Hi ,

We've bee to the ensenachos for a couple years in a row now and ,sure,it is great, but you will be fine at the Melia cc.

Your options around the resort and area are better.

We have flown to both locations with sunning . This year there will be a stop over in Punta Cana on rout to CayoCoco.

If you have time , try and make it over to cayo Guillermo for a day trip. You can use the facilities of several hotels there and on Cayo Coco. Open air ,double decker bus gets you there.

Also ,check out playa pilar.

You guys might enjoy a baseball excursion, offered by the Sunwing rep.

The Bottom line, make sure you take in the orientation meeting once you arrive at the resort. Very good info on what the hotel, the area, and Cuba, has to offer.

Have a wonderfully trip!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ibersotar Ensenachos VS. Melia Cayo Coco

Thank you very much! We will definetly try to get over to Cayo Guillermo and the other resorts. We will also go to the orientation meeting! Thanks again!

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ibersotar Ensenachos VS. Melia Cayo Coco

Boy , is my typing Brutal!

TanzlyB, I just sent you a PM.

Just a little more info.

Cheers!

Nova Scotia, Canada.
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ibersotar Ensenachos VS. Melia Cayo Coco

Does anyone know what country the wine offered at IBE is from? Before it changed hands, we were there 4 years in a row, with quite acceptable Chilean red and whites. The thought of Spanish wine, and some other concerns with new ownership scared us off. Thanks. FM.

Vaudreuil-Dorion...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Ensenachos
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ibersotar Ensenachos VS. Melia Cayo Coco

Yes they offer Chilean wine. I remember the name of one was Casillero del Diablo.