We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ah the resort life, how do you spend your day?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ah the resort life, how do you spend your day?

Just sitting here looking out the window at the wrong kind of white powdery stuff. Boy are we getting a lot of it today! What a winter! Oh to be in Cuba right now. April's not coming fast enough.

Just wondering about how you guys spend your ideal day at the resort. For us it's up early to enjoy a fresh made to order omelette with the usual sides. That reminds me, how's the buffet coffee? Is it advised to to pick up a cafe Canadiano from elsewhere? After breaky it's back to the room ......... change into the swim wear, grab the camera, bubba, etc.... and head down to the beach. Lounge, walk, swim, pinch yourself :-) Oh looky there, the bar is open :-) Before you know it it's lunch time :-) More of the same after lunch maybe take a bus ride to one of the Peublo's for some souvenir shopping. Back in time for more cocktails, (funny name for a drink :-) swimming, lounging...... Try and catch the sun going down and quick nap to get energized for your alacart dinner. At first I thought 9 pm dinners are too late but I found it's perfect for the resort life. After that it's off to the lobby bar for some nightcaps, (another funny name for drinks:-) talk about the fantastic day you just had, check out your photos of the day, and in bed by midnight. You pinch yourself again, and think wow, 6 more days of this! are you kidding me right now :-))

Cheers!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,859 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ah the resort life, how do you spend your day?

My day usually starts before turning in for the night. I check with the security guard to make sure that he will reserve my chaise lounge in my preferred spot. I usually bring him a beer for his troubles. In the morning, I put my spurs on my elbows to go for breakfast, and nudge people outta’ my way as I wink to the guy cookin’ the omelets. He knows what I want, and it’s too bad for the other shmoffs who are indecisive.

After brekkie I might do a bit of shopping before getting to my reserved lounger by about 11.

I always bring a big bag of stuff to the beach cuz it’s so much fun to give it out to any of the Cubans who might be sauntering by. You know – left over Christmas candy, days-of-the-week underwear with the days misspelled, etc.

The day just rolls on from there.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 20:09
London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,560 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ah the resort life, how do you spend your day?

Wish I was still there - we got quite the dumping of snow today :-(

We get up early and enjoy the sunrise, have a coffee. We found the coffee to be fine - the cappuchinos are delicious! Wander over for breakfast and then back to the room to lotion up and put swimsuit on. After that it's basically swim, lounge, eat and repeat with a walk on the beach thrown in a couple of times. Back to the room for "happy hour" which includes a few snacks brought from home and then shower and relax before dinner.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 20:12
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ah the resort life, how do you spend your day?

I'm usually incoherent by about 4 in the afternoon..

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ah the resort life, how do you spend your day?

I LOLed Mad. I was right there with you for most of it. The security guard reserving your chair grabbed my attention (not such a far-fetched thing in Cuba actually). The presents from Christmas sealed the deal :)

My ideal day is roll out of bed a bit before 7 (somehow I just wake up early on vacation). I grab a cigar, my book, and head out to the balcony or terrace. Puff away on the cigar and read, or just put the book away and listen to the quiet(occasional bird chirps). My better half will stir around 7:30 and by 8-8:30 we're off to breakfast. By 9-930 we're at the beach(nice day) or pool(overcast day). Lounge around until 12-12:30 and get up for a bit for lunch. Continue lounging until about 4, back to the room for a rest and shower prior to supper. Eat early and straight to the lobby or some sort of piano bar(maybe live performers). Have some drinks, chat with people, play cards, and enjoy a cigar or two. In bed most nights around 10:30, a couple late ones maybe too.

Repeat.

:)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ah the resort life, how do you spend your day?

Madrug, hilarious :-)

Cairo, sounds like the perfect day :-)

Sssnake, that's were the nap comes in :-)

Edited: 05 February 2014, 20:39
Montreal
Level Contributor
4,488 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ah the resort life, how do you spend your day?

We try and get up early but it doesn't always happen. Lots of mornings in Cuba are the mad rush to the buffet before it closes! Unlike alot of ppl, we don't go back to the room after breakfast (waste beach time?! What?!) We leave the room fully beach ready, sunscreened, bubba-mugged and all.

IF we have enough time we go for a cafe con leche before breakfast.. If not we head to the lobby for one after we eat. Then it's beach time by 10-10:30.

Lounge, swim, etc... Oh look, the bar is open..

Discuss appropriate Bubba mug fill-up for before noon. Settle on some pineapple-rum conconction.

Lunch at beach bar or snack bar around 1-2pm (never buffet for lunch) Sometimes back to the beach after that but more often than not we spend the PM hours around the pool.

Back to room around 5pm, nap, shower, etc..

Drink contents of mini bar on the balcony.

Drinks in the lobby before dinner.

Supper around 8pm.

Back to the lobby for drinks. Peak in on the show, usually decide not to watch it, and head back to the lobby bar.

The rest depends on the crowd, the atmosphere, the people we meet etc. Sometimes it's bed by 11pm, sometimes it's closing down the disco.

Yarmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ah the resort life, how do you spend your day?

This is an awesome thread - especially for a wintery day like today. Assuming that it's just me and Mr. Wick:

We're both usually up fairly early. Unfortunately for me, Mr. wick isn't a coffee drinker so he dosen't really "get it" that "eyes open = coffee now". We throw on some sort of suitable buffet wear and head out for breakfast then we find a little spot to have a nice leisurely after brekkie smoke (and extra coffee for me). We then head back to the room and prepare for the day and get the gear and then try and locate some loungers, usually on the beach for the morning. Lunch consists of snack bar foods followed by a strictly liquid diet for the afternoon. Afternoons are usually spent drooling by the pool and then we retire to our room for a lil nappy-poo. Then its shower, dinner, and more bevvies. We're lucky if we make it past 10pm.

I know. We're hardcore.

S

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ah the resort life, how do you spend your day?

Ok i was kidding.

Get up at 5 am, go to all night lobby bar to have a few coffees and read a bit. Just as the sun looks like its about to come up, I go for a walk outside the hotel until buffet opens.

Eat leisurely and then go to room grab my stuff and go for a nice long hike for hours on end usually ten to twenty kilometers, birdwatching, taking photos etc. come back middle of afternoon and eat somewhere, beach grill, pool bar, NOT buffet etc.

Go to tienda, buy beer, grab a book and sit somewhere, anywhere and read and consume beer.

GoI go to bed early because the morning and watching the sunrise is the best part of the day.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,638 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ah the resort life, how do you spend your day?

I'm up at the crack of dawn so I can sneak into the upgraded sections or over to the neighbouring hotel to try to score a drink. ;-)

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Cayo Ensenachos
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ah the resort life, how do you spend your day?

Well Larry L, we are getting hit today also...a nor'easter. I'm up by 5am(crazy I know) but it works for me. I like to watch the sun come up everyday and walk the beach after I walk to and from the Villas for exercise. Nothing like being alone on the beautiful beaches there and seeing the sun come up as everyday is different.

The rest of the day is usually just beaching, snorkeling, eating, having a few drinkies and catching up with our friends that travel with us. The days are all spent in laughter. Evenings are usually before dinner drinks a great meal, after dinner drinks and listening to Yillian. Can't usually stay up for the entertainment but we are known to have a few games of crib.

Basically we just chill. Great thread!

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Ensenachos